1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Both wrists feel like jelly

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by yehongxiang, May 9, 2010.

1. yehongxiang

yehongxiang

Dec 15, 2009
    Singapore
    Not sure if it's because of a wrong technique or just plain overpractice, but both my wrists are feeling like jelly right now.

Practised for 3 hours yesterday, and had to take a break because I got tired. Tried to practise earlier but couldn't last more than half an hour because my hands started feeling really weak.

Is this because of overpractice or am I doing something wrong?

2. Murph#2

Murph#2

Mar 24, 2010
    murph#2
    This could be a good thing, You may be building up your strength an dexterity from all those hours of practice/exercise, just like jogging or stretching when outta shape, you over exert and stretch muscles and feel weak when actually you are building up and strengthening. Now the bad thing is this could be an indication of the beginning of carpal tunnel syndrome, Using the same repetitive movement continuously over long periods of time and not doing any other movement in the area can cause this. It happens in typists,drummers, carpenters and and many people who make the same repititions over months and years, I know I have had the beginning of CTS and began doing alternate exercises with my wrists and it cleared things up-Per Doctors orders. Have you been playing like this for years and is this an all of a sudden syptom? If so I would be careful and if symptoms worsen I.E. pain in hand between thumb and index finger, numbness, tingling etc. have it checked out. This is just my own experience as a result of namely typing and my knowledge of this from others I.E. Guiturds, drummers, typists. etc. If you are just overexerting, what the heck go for it, you can be building up those bass jammin areas of your hands. But remember!!! Continuous repetitve movement without any other type of movement or exercise in you wrists can be harmful, I hope this helps.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Good points written above!

I highly suggest giving your hands a break for at least a day (the day you practiced and possibly some of the next day). 3 hours is quite crazy to practice if you are not adjusted to it. You might be doing something wrong technique wise and the only way to find out is a to find a bass teacher (a real bass guitar teacher) and have him watch you play. One lesson with him - he will be able to see if you are doing something wrong. Good luck

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    If it is a natural tiredness from possible over exertion, then just cut back on your practice time. If you are feeling any pain or general discomfort, then these are warning signs that should not go unheeded. I'd advise you to rest the hand for a day or two, then play again, paying attention to your technique. Make sure you warm up and down with gentle stretches. Dont play for too long at a time. After all this, if the problem persists then have a teacher look at your technique. This problem may not be entirely bass related, depending on how else you use your hands, type of work you do etc.

Final piece of advice, dont play through any pain or discomfort hoping it will go away, and if things dont improve, then seek medical advice.

5. yehongxiang

yehongxiang

Dec 15, 2009
    Singapore
    Ok thanks!

I think/hope it's just overexertion. There wasn't really any sharp pain, or any pain, at all. Mostly just weakness. :)