1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bottesini Concerto No.1 Trill help

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by mcnaire2004, Mar 21, 2006.

1. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    In the first movement of 6 measures after one there is a trill of the note A# and 4 after 2 there is a trill of F#. 5 & 7 after 17 there is a trill of F# and B. I have been trilling down a half step. I am not sure if I should be trilling up or down. The key is F# minor if that helps. Thanks

2. bierbass

bierbass

Sep 5, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Trills are traditionally done up to the next diatonic note(note in the key) above the main note(written note). In music from the classical era forward you begin the trill on the main note. Since Bottesini was a romantic start on the main note. In music from the baroque era start the trill on the upper note above the main note.

3. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    A whole or half step higher?

4. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Diatonicly; whatever the next note in the scale is.

5. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    Thanks

6. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    This is trivial, but the piece you're talking about, the Grand Concerto in F# minor was actually written after the famous Concerto No.2 so it should really be labeled Concerto No.3. The actual first concerto is mentioned in Bottesini's Method book but there haven't been any manuscripts of it that have turned up.

7. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    Thats interesting. So what is the exact order of Bottesini's 4 concerto's (No.1,2,3dibravura,gran concerto for bass & violin)?

8. I remember hearing that the Concerto No.2 was written before No.1, but was discovered later. I'm not sure really, but the order is definitely messed up. By the way, are there any recordings out there of the Di Bravura?

9. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    I have been searching for a free online recording of it. It is supposed to be Bottesini's greatest work. Supposedly difficulty has cept the popularity of it from rising. If you search on yahoo you'll get like 5-9 pages of stuff(which is really small for yahoo). I found a few exerts to listen to. I would love to hear (and see) it performed.

10. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003