1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bottesini Concerto no. 2 Editions

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by E.O.M., Mar 23, 2006.

1. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Hello all,

I'm about to get a copy of Bottesini's Concerto no. 2 in b minor to learn, and I would like to know if there is a 'definitive' edition. I like the International Music Company's editions and was probably going to order that one (their's is the Buccarella). I have no experience playing the Bottesini yet, but I have no problem reading any clef (including bass clef 8va since I've heard that's what one of the editions is in).

Any ideas?

2. Most editions are 8va, which I don't have a huge problem reading, but I tend to prefer if it's written out in the proper octave. Seems like the editors are just being lazy.

The International edition is 8va, but it's not terrible. I've been using the Yorke edition, which is one of the few editions that comes with a piano part for orchestral tuning. It's also in the right octave, which I think is easier to read.

3. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    The main difference in the editions are slur placements and bowings from what I can see. Once you start 8va for a long period of time you can't switch to a propper octave version. (I have both)