1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bottesini Fantasia I Puritani by Bellini???

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by tbassist4, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Where can I find a score for cello and double bass? I bought a book a long time ago that has this piece in it (Yorke Complete Bottesini Volume 2), but it is only for solo double bass, and I don't believe the opening cadenza is even correct, unless I am mistaken about the version.

I have a recording of this being done by a cello and double bass on the CD Bottesini: Vol. 3. Is this not the original? I can't seem to find a score for both instruments, just solo double bass. Anyone done this piece before, or know where I can get it?

2. Andrew Chilcote

Andrew Chilcote

Mar 20, 2007
    Hmmm, that is strange. I just looked through the UC library, and like you said, they only have recordings of the piece. It might take a very intense google search to uncover a publisher if no one else knows off-hand.

3. Yeah, thanks for doing a check! I should prolly just ask my bass teacher here at college...just got here and forgot about that...haha

4. dannbass

dannbass

Aug 5, 2003
    OH
    Let me know if you don't find it... also you can try ILL in your college... the edition to look is the Billaudot, and it will look something like this...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Just let me know!

5. THAT'S IT!!! Where did you find that? I actually want to buy a copy so I can mark up the score and give the score to a friend to play the other part (long term project of course...haha). I'll do an online search, but otherwise I'd like to know where I can buy a copy...

6. found the website, THANKS SO MUCH! I've been looking for this for a really long time...

Now another question, did Bottesini write this version himself, or is it arranged? Like I said, I have another version for solo double bass, with a different cadenza and with a few different sections. Did he write both? I'm just a little curious on where this version came from, and if so, when and where it was performed by him and a cellist...

7. haha also found why it's hard to get...there's "no direct sale to private individuals," so I have to find a music shop that carries this...ohwell, at least I know it exists and I'm not crazy, haha.

8. dannbass

dannbass

Aug 5, 2003
    OH
    Glad I could help!
    Bottesini wrote both versions... the one with solo bass it's called Fantasia I Puritani... and the Duo Concertante (1851 premier by Bottesini and Alfredo Piatti) is much more impressive and elaborated, and you can hear more material from Bellini's opera in the Duo Concertante, but both are Bottesini's hand...

When you get the edition you'll read a nice preface by Mark Starr about the piece.

9. awesome, thanks so much once again!