Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bottesini Gran Duo

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by kurt muroki, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Well... just thought i'd try one more time to post this... recorded live concert Dec 1998 with the prometheus orchestra and kurt muroki on bass / joanna mauer on violin - http://www.angelfire.com/music6/kbass/ it works well for people who have fast internet connections...

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Well, that's nice, I guess, but can you play something in "taro patch" tuning?... :cool:

Wow, brah...sounding really good. I see that this was recorded in '98...you must be positively frightening by now. I remember Les Horn telling me about you when he was still active, saying to watch out for you. He was not kidding.

For the rest of you; Kurt came out of Maui awhile back, and I was involved with a jazz festival that supplies promising musicians with some $$$ for music education. Needless to say, he was the hands down winner of the award; hopefully, it helped keep him stocked with Top Ramen for a few months. You can hear the results of his hard work and raw talent.

Good work, Kurt. Now get this New York thing out of your system and come back home to give me some lessons. ;)

3. yeah right... you are awesome!! just listened to your recordings and loved them both! How long have you guys been a group? I never got to hear you guys in maui. Neat violinist!

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Coupla years. We're just starting on CDs 3 & 4. Started out as a goof, and took on a life of its own.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Absolutely gorgeous, and some of the most wonderful intonation I've ever heard. I have to echo SPARTACUS' remarks about how frightnening you must be by now. I hope that you've moved well past the Ramen stage with talent and work ethic (I can only assume) to play that well. Thanks for sharing that - it was extremely inspiring to this pizzer who wants to bow someday. Post more when ya got it!

6. I absolutely agree, your intonation is awesome (i wish i were even half as good). And please post some more!

7. wow thanks guys, whenever I hear it i get so self concious... I hear soooo many mistakes... oh well, but thanks for the support.

kurt

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Don't worry, Kurt...most of us are jazz players, so we don't believe in mistakes. Or intonation, for that matter.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Speak for yourself, hula boy. :spit: I've never played out of tune on a break in my life.

10. hahaha funny! you guys sound awesome!

11. uhm... i really like this composition lot's of power at the start. but my favorite part must be the end when the double bass plays alone, i find that melody funny.
    And it's well played, congrats
    hope to get my double bass soon so i can start practice.
    ah! damn money, someone should give me some of that for free. :rolleyes:

12. Kurt Buaedifull (as we say down hear in AuzStralia) Soud dude!!

Being an inqusitive dude I also checked out your site what's with the old bass is that your present axe? Or did you find it? Is there a story related to it?

Be Interested to know.

Keep up the good work!

13. Hi, actually the bass pictures in the gallery of the bass scroll belong to my girfriend. her bass was supposedly owned by Eduard Nanny. I have 2 basses... my orchestral bass (just got it) is a Luigi Bajoni from Milan 1854, which used to be strictly a Jazz bass (pictures http://24.215.177.92/muroki/newbass/index.htm) and my solo bass (stamped A.W. and attributed to A. Wilfur who was the original Wilfur maker in germany) I bought in hawaii for $1200 from a bassist from canada who was passing through. It used to be strictly a jazz bass as well and that is the bass that I used on the recording.

14. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Bravo Kurt. Thanks for the link - I really enjoyed listening. You've GOT to submit something for the next TB Sampler CD disc :D (will probably start soliciting submissions next year). The one due out this month is has no classical DB to represent - I would've put something on there but I've been sitting in the orchestra so long my solo chops are next to nothing ;) I know the DB sampler is a great resource by itself - but the site-wide sampler CD disc will be a great way to get your sound out to thousands... you could probably convert some electric-heads ;)

15. wow! sounds great! i would love to. i'll definitely start recording things to see if i can get anything decent. thanks, would be fun!

16. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    very enjoytable recording, Kurt. I was wondering when we would get to hear some classical playing on this site. Would love to hear something more recent when you can post it.

I had the pleasure of having Joanna play the sibelius violin concerto with a european concert tour i did with my youth orchestra after i finished high school in '97, it was really great to get to listen to her play every day for two weeks. i think it was right when she had finished her undergrad and she just wanted to go to europe; i'm sure we were pretty lame to play with! later i picked up some pointers from her father at universtiy of Denver, where he's the chair of the string dept. What a family!

17. Stan Haskins

Stan Haskins

Nov 17, 2005
    NY and Miami
    I enjoyed this recording immensely. Very tastefully played.

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Beautiful Kurt... Bajoni and Fetique ?

19. oh that was played on a wilfur bass and fetique bow. fun bass... i'm loaning it out to a student right now.

20. Tritonis

Tritonis

Jul 20, 2006
    Connecticut
    Wow...I don't know where to begin. That was utterly fantastic.