1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bottesini Tarantella

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by andrewc4000, Oct 19, 2006.

1. andrewc4000

andrewc4000 Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Does anyone know of any background info about this piece? Also what are some tempos out there for the exposition and cantabile part? I'm sticking around dotted quarter = 135 for expo and 70 for the slow part.

2. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    I am going to get the piece later. I ordered it once but Lemur sent me Passione Amarosa which I'm not going to complain. I'll try again to order it later. There is a recording on youtube. Just search Bottesini. It's titled "This is not a piano playing". There's only like 4 things that will pop up on your search so it wont be hard to find.

3. I got to see a master bassist, Gianni Amadio, perform this in Venice with a chamber group when I was there to study architecture in May, 2005. I had never seen anything so amazing.

I bought my first DB that Fall.

4. That video on you tube is alright, actually, it is pretty good...and maybe helpful considering that that's a normal guy playing it, but I'd look into a master recording. There's one by Giorgi Massimo that is sooo amazing. He's accompanied by a string quartet (actually I think maybe an octet, or some other larger group of strings. The recording quality I have isn't very good, so it sounds like more than one instrument of each type) as well, instead of piano, which sounds absolutely beautiful. His recording should be floating around out there somewhere. I listen to mine through the local library's website actually, haha. They have a classical music database for the county. I'm sure the same services are offered elsewhere. You could very well get some ideas from that. Well, good luck!

5. andrewc4000

andrewc4000 Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    I have the recording by Gabriele Ragghianti. I've also seen a DVD of Gary Karr playing it. He makes it look so easy!