Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bottesini-Umberto-Moristo

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by tommy154578, Oct 14, 2003.

1. tommy154578

tommy154578

Jul 14, 2003
    I've been reading about Bottesini on this site http://bottesini.com/alife/
    There are a lot of interesting things but then I run into the story about Umberto and all his efforts to destroy Bottesini, and all the stuff about Moristo. I found it a bit hard to believe so I tried to search for additional info on the web but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

T.R.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    867-5309JENNY,

Have you tried this one? It claims to contain many of B's letters. I have no idea how authentic they are, but....

3. tommy154578

tommy154578

Jul 14, 2003
    Thanks Chris; yes, i know that one although I haven't read much. I'm just trying to find someone who knows smth about all that story about Moristo and Umberto. Don't you think it's a little hard to believe??

T.R.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It does kind of resemble the whole bogus Mozart/Salieri subplot from "Amadeus", doesn't it?

5. Tommy,
    You're supposed to be laughing when you read that site. It's a hilarious spoof that's been around a few years.

6. tommy154578

tommy154578

Jul 14, 2003
    Don, the point is that not all the information is fake, I guess. There's info about Bottesini's life that is true, from what I could find from other sources. So, how can I separate real info from what it was meant to be a joke? I guess I didn't get it.

T.R.

7. I know that there is a few pages that it states are to be read as fiction but for the most part it says no such thing.

I know i'm 3 years off I just found this interesting

8. The site's a gag. It shouldn't be that hard to tell.

9. Well most of sounds real. Then again about 30% sounds like a ridiculous conspiracy. I (for some reason) can't find any information on him. I have researched Dragonetti and have found alot but not Bottesini. The most I find his most of his works, birth and death dates, and a little beyond that. For some reason (online) I can't find any record of the 'Concerto Di Bravura'(Besides performances in atlanta ect...) which (I could be wrong) is his concerto #3. Basically thats the stuff I know about him. I know he was a 3 stringer in Th's and stuff like that. I honestly would love to learn his BIO and history of his concerto's how they were (and are) performed/interpreted. I have several recordings to go off of as far as that goes. I honestly think he was a genius and one of the best (if not the best) bassist of all time and he wrote the best works for bass ever...(so far).