1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bottesini-Umberto-Moristo

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by tommy154578, Oct 14, 2003.

1. tommy154578

tommy154578

Jul 14, 2003
    I've been reading about Bottesini on this site http://bottesini.com/alife/
    There are a lot of interesting things but then I run into the story about Umberto and all his efforts to destroy Bottesini, and all the stuff about Moristo. I found it a bit hard to believe so I tried to search for additional info on the web but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

T.R.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    867-5309JENNY,

Have you tried this one? It claims to contain many of B's letters. I have no idea how authentic they are, but....

3. tommy154578

tommy154578

Jul 14, 2003
    Thanks Chris; yes, i know that one although I haven't read much. I'm just trying to find someone who knows smth about all that story about Moristo and Umberto. Don't you think it's a little hard to believe??

T.R.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It does kind of resemble the whole bogus Mozart/Salieri subplot from "Amadeus", doesn't it?

5. Tommy,
    You're supposed to be laughing when you read that site. It's a hilarious spoof that's been around a few years.

6. tommy154578

tommy154578

Jul 14, 2003
    Don, the point is that not all the information is fake, I guess. There's info about Bottesini's life that is true, from what I could find from other sources. So, how can I separate real info from what it was meant to be a joke? I guess I didn't get it.

T.R.

7. I know that there is a few pages that it states are to be read as fiction but for the most part it says no such thing.

I know i'm 3 years off I just found this interesting

8. The site's a gag. It shouldn't be that hard to tell.

9. Well most of sounds real. Then again about 30% sounds like a ridiculous conspiracy. I (for some reason) can't find any information on him. I have researched Dragonetti and have found alot but not Bottesini. The most I find his most of his works, birth and death dates, and a little beyond that. For some reason (online) I can't find any record of the 'Concerto Di Bravura'(Besides performances in atlanta ect...) which (I could be wrong) is his concerto #3. Basically thats the stuff I know about him. I know he was a 3 stringer in Th's and stuff like that. I honestly would love to learn his BIO and history of his concerto's how they were (and are) performed/interpreted. I have several recordings to go off of as far as that goes. I honestly think he was a genius and one of the best (if not the best) bassist of all time and he wrote the best works for bass ever...(so far).