Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bottle rocket or Big-D

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Dec 16, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Which?

In the thread I posted about the Budda, both came up and highly regarded.

However, I would like to know a little more specifics. Differences in them, pros/cons, anything and everything.

Again if it helps, I am looking for an OVERDRIVE not distortion sound similar to Chris Chaney's on "Price I Pay" on "Strays" or similar to that of Ben Shepherds sound in the Soundgarden days. Thank ahead of time.

2. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004
    haha i thought this thread was about me

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    sorry dude.

4. If it was about you, where would he plug his instrument cable? :eek:

5. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I'd be more worried about where he was gonna plug the output cable!

6. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    It's getting alittle to homo-erotic...

8. Sorry! That wasn't my intention! Back to bass... :bag:

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ha. classic

10. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004

I dont even wanna think about that haha

11. if u want a one trick pony overdrive with lots of searing treble character in it, then u want the bottle rocket...thats all it does...its GOOD at it, but thats all it does

if u want tubey warmth, big, beefy grit, compressed overdrive sound, and a pedal that retains more low end, then u want the big d...great pedal, awesomely tweakable, any type of overdrive u want (i usually set the main overdrive to something nice and warm and then let the "bigger" channel take care of pushing it over the egde), and it retains low end SO well...im excited to try theyre new bass overdrive (the hematoma), but i dont know if ill like it as much as the big d (not as many overdrive choices in the hematoma)

so if u want that soundgarden grit, id suggest get the big d...even if u DONT want soundgarden grit, get the big d...u can get any type of overdrive u want out of it

12. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Alright. Thanks for the insight. I think I will buy a Big-D up from pedalgeek and give it the week try out and if I like it, I will keep it. If not then I'll see about getting a bottle rocket.

thanks

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The breakdown in that song is pure Depth Charge. I could nail that tone easily with mine.

14. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Breakdown in which song? The Jane's tune? If so, what are your settings for that?

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Price I Pay. I haven't had that pedal for over 6 months. Extremely Roughly (in clock positions), Gain 3, Blend 12-1, Tone 9-10. Use a passive bass with the tone control completely open.