Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bottlenecks

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by guapongkev, Jan 30, 2001.

1. guapongkev

guapongkev

Jan 25, 2001
    I was wondering if anybody has advice, instructions, opinions or just plain BS, anything about using a bottleneck/glass slide instead of fingering.

I fool around with one and get weird sounds most of the time and rarely make it sound decent, is there a way to make it work well with a bass or is it impossible?

If it can work are there any bass lines or routines that i could practice with to help?

2. I have this huge heavy brass tube that I use as a slide that works great. It is part of a huge roller bearing from a Diesel engine. BTW is sounds cruddy on guitar but it really sings on bass strings, I use it on electric country gigs and sometimes for recording to add a texture.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Ordinary bottlenecks sound cruddy with bass, period.

This is probably why we have bottleneck guitar and fretless bass.

4. Actually it can be used tastefully.Have you heard of a band called Morphine? Their lead singer/bassist used one on some of their songs.Unfortunately I don't remember the names of the songs and the lead guy is dead.But anyways,I have heard it and it was real cool and different;his use of the slide threw me off guard.

5. mark sandman was his name and morphine kicked arse
    his playing was cool and sounded great
    2 strings and a slide on bass

6. Thanks gruff!!He was the man!!!

7. Deeter

Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    Yes he was - Morphine in general was one of the most underrated bands of the '90s, and "Cure for Pain," one of the most underrated albums.

I got to see them play live in Newbury Comics in Cambridge, MA a couple years ago. Very intimate setting and a great show.

8. I'm jealous!!! Aaarrrrgggghhh....

9. Deeter

Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    I'm jealous!!! Aaarrrrgggghhh....

Don't be <B>too</b> jealous ;) . . . it really was one of those freak occurences. I was in Bean Town for just a couple days visiting a friend, knocking around downtown and Cambridge for an afternoon and just sorta stumbled onto the show. I only caught about 4 tunes before they packed it in, but was just one of those rare (extremely, for me) occasions where I was in the right place in the right time.

10. I can relate,I saw Cactus World News at a local club where I live.They're from Ireland and some of my friends are their biggest fans,but never got to see them.Stuff happens.