Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bottom Line Closes!! (NYC)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davehenning, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I just saw on CNN that The Bottom Line closed today! ***!!

I loved that place. I saw some great shows there and have some lovely memories. One in particular of Victor Wooten in 1990 giving me(then 19, they did not check ID in those days) and a friend a free lesson backstage.

still can't believe it. first tramps, wetlands and now the bottom line.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

My memories go back to the mid 70s, especially a Sun Ra show with the extended Arkestra. I sat 5 feet from Sun Ra, and caught a few good scowls for literally falling out of my seat laughing at his antics. I also caught some great shows from Metheny and Oregon there. Sorry for those of you who still live near enough to that place to have more recent experiences there.

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I saw Peter Gabriel in 1978? there. It was the PG II tour and he had just shaved his head :eek: Fripp on guitar, Tony Levin on bass, Bill Bruford on Drums. Peter jumped from table to table with his wireless, stood right in front of me singing "solsbury hill" It was my most incredible concert experience (except maybe "The Wall" at Nassau Coliseum)

There will never be another place like the Bottom Line. :bawl: :bawl:

4. I myself have never seen a show there, but what do you expect when you owe the Landlord (NYU) $190,000.00 in back rent?

Mike

5. That's a bit sad. The Bottom Line was quite a landmark. I did a gig there a few years ago with a band from Canada called Great Big Sea. It was pretty cool to gig in a club with that kind of history!