Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bottom line: Mesa M-Pulse 600 or Genz Benz GBE 1200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MentalBass, Mar 28, 2005.

1. I've narrowed it down to those two. I'll be running a 4 Ohm load (a Mesa Powerhouse 2x15 and a 4x10), and I'd like your opinions on which one you'd buy, given that I want tone versatility above all (I wanna be able to grind out some really gnarly-sounding lines, as well as clean jazz lines and plenty of slap). Volume is obviously important to me as well, but because I've heard that Mesa's amps tend to be as loud as other makers' amps with twice the power ratings, I'm wondering how much of a difference in volume and headroom there'd be between the above mentioned amps (625 Watts for the Mesa @ 4 Ohms, 1000 Watts for the Genz).

Genz also mentions that they test their amps with "real reactive speaker loads", and I've heard that Mesa's cabs are reactive loads. Does that mean that Mesa's amps are tested and rated with reactive loads as well?

I've played the Mesa for all of maybe half an hour, not enough to get an idea of what it can really do. The Genz I haven't touched yet. Any help would be appreciated!

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I can't vouch for the Genz, but my Mesa M-Pulse 600 through my SWR 8x10 is painfully loud. It actually never ceases to amaze me how loud it is, especially when in comparison to the SWR 750 watt head I was using before with the same cabinet. On top of that, all that volume comes with really great tone as well.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Genz gear is pretty loud. I have a Series 2 amp rated for 245 watts at 8ohms. It is really loud.

-Mike

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I don't have a SWR 8x10 but I do have a Ampeg SVT-410 and 115. If you want loud you're gonna get it, tone out the ass and the ability to get REALLY dirty.

Wooo Mesa!

5. pdxmar

pdxmar

Feb 13, 2005
    I can vouch that the GBE600 is LOUD. I am running it with at 2ohms (410's and a 2 15 ) and it blows away any other amp I have heard. Not just loud but just about any type tone you might want. The Genz Benz GBE 1200 is that much louder than my amp so I can not imagine you will not love it.

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    My bet is the Genz will win hands down in a volume war. And can also get more tones out of it (because it has two blendable pre's).

By the way, you can get 1,200 watts out of the Genz at 4 ohms; there's a switch.

Personally, I'd go with the Genz Benz. But this is your choice.

7. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    It's really up to you in the end. The tone I like might not suit you. I tried the GBE 600 through a Bag End 2x10 as well as a GB 2x12 and the M-Pulse through a Mesa 4x10. Both were really good though I was leaning towards the Mesa tone-wise between the two but it's so close that it could well be a day-to-day preferencef for me. The GBE 1200 will most assuredly be louder than the M-Pulse will be and do it at a great price.

You really need to try both if you can.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Tossing monkey wrench into mix. Have you tested or sampled the Kustom Groove Bass 1200? 1200 watts, has about the same feature set (except for the twin channels), killer tone, etc. It's worth checking into because they can be had for $500 - $600 new. Comes with a nice footswitch and Neutrik Speakon cable too (8ft heavy duty). I love mine and EVERYBODY who has heard it comments on the KILLER tone it puts out!

GROOVE BASS™ Amplifier Specifications
    1200 Watts @ 2 Ohms
    800 Watts @ 4 Ohms
    500 Watts @ 8 Ohms
    Active/Pasive Input Selector Switch
    9-Band Active EQ
    BASS Control with Normal/Sub EQ Settings
    MID Control with EQ Shift
    HIGH Control with Normal/Define Settings
    Pre or Post-EQ Effects Loop
    Neutrik® Speak-On Output Connectors
    Signal Mute Switch & Tuner Output
    Solo Boost Function

[​IMG]

9. The Kustom is nice, but if I had the cash I'd take an M-Pulse 600 or GBE1200 over it anyday. The Mesa is a sick head and I haven't played on the Genz Benz but I'd take it over the Kustom anyway just for the extra power at 4 ohms and the tube preamp option.

10. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    We have the most stringent wattage and power ratings compared to any other brand and we've also bench tested other companies to see where their ratings stand up and don't.

In the end though, there's more to an amp then just power. Bottom line- Mesa makes real nice stuff based on tone, quality and feature set. I wouldn't get too spec concerned but rather, when you're comparing to serious pro brands like Mesa and Genz, let your ears decide. You know this already but use your bass and cabinet when comparing.

Side note- all speakers; Mesa or not, are reactive loads.