Bottom line...what do you think of MIA Prec.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rugrat, Apr 23, 2005.

1. rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    Really happy with mine. Honestly, it sounds better than my USA Spector. Being 1/3 of the cost, it just doesn't make sense.
  2. I recently played my friend's 2003 MIA P and it's incredible. Even with pretty high action and a Squier amp it sounded and played great.
  3. I like them. The only problem I have seen with the ones at the local dealers here is that the new push-button series/parallel switch seems to get stuck easily. Probably an easy fix. They sound great though!
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The MIA P is a classic. If you have a good one, you the all time industry standard tone at your hands. What more can you ask?
  5. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I find that all of the MIA Fenders are awesome and play better than many Spectors , Warwicks etc.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    If the MIA precision was a piece of farm equipment it would be a John Deere! :)
  7. Both of my Fenders are MIA and I love them both. I have a Deluxe Active Fretless Jazz and an American Standard Precision and they are both awesome. Frankly, with those two basses I don't really feel the need for a third bass, which is a good thing I guess.
  8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I have recent Am. Ser. Jazz (2003) and Precision (2004) basses, both with maple fretboards, and they're both awesome. The finish, construction, tone, and playability are outstanding. I haven't had trouble with the S-1 switches sticking, but I'm not surprised it happens, especially with the plastic knob on the Jazz.

I think the Jazz is better for two reasons. First, it has a more resonant neck that provides a great "woody" sound. I think my P ended up with a less "lively" piece of wood for its neck, so I'm sure better sounding examples exist, but mine still sounds great. Second, the Jazz had more output and punch with the stock pickups. The Precision had great tone, but weak output IMO, so I installed a DiMarzio Model P, and the output is now in the ridiculous range!

You really can't go wrong with the American Series. I have a Strat too, and it's a fantastic guitar.
  9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I really like mine. I replaced it's stock pickup with a different passive pickup (a Nordstrand NP-4) because I thought it's bottom end tone was too muddy YMMV.
  10. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I can't play with the P's wide fretboard/string spacing...I started on a Jazz, so that may be why :smug:
  11. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada

Same here. I'm gonna restring the P neck tho - give it an honest try.
  12. rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I recently bought the "chrome red" model with maple fretboard. I'm not sure I like the black pickguard, I thought about getting a white one. They say the holes don't always line up though.
  13. If it were a mic it would be the SM-58

If it were a tuner it would be the TU-2
  14. No way man! I'm thinkin of snaggin one like that when I get the money, got any pics?
  15. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Get a white one. That's the combination on my 2003 Jazz, and it looks great.
  16. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    MIA P-bass in chrome silver, black pg and maple fretboard... mmm yummy!!!!!!!
  17. I don't own one, I have a MIM P-bass, but I've played a few and I love them. There is a Suburst Deluxe at the local music store that is way lighter, plays better, and has much better sound than my MIM does. If I had only had enough to buy that when I bought mine! :crying:
  18. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I have a '96 with a stock pickup... currently wearing 2 month old D'Addario Chromes... The tone is, oh I don't know... PERFECT for my roots/rock/blues gig!!

19. I'm well happy with my brand new MIA Jazz, and looking at getting an MIA Precision sometime in the future too... I have played a few in stores, and a few friends models. I love the sound but I dont like the necks on them so that will be swapped out for a Jazz neck.

As for colors, Sunbrunt, with a Mapple Jazz neck, Black or Mirror Pickguard... Should go with my Sunburnt jazz pretty well.
  20. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I recently picked up a blue '97 MIA P with a maple neck and it's the best I've owned from the nineties. A very good bass: balanced on a strap, neck is good and the tone is right THERE! ;)