Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bottom low

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Suburban, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I just learned that some folks play low, down to F#. Pretty low..... JT uses .150strings on 34" scale....

Three questions come to my mind:
    1. Anyone else play that low (or lower)? What strings and scale?
    2. How low is that, i.e. frequensy?
    3. Does any amp/cab handle it? Most seem to state 40 Hz as their low limit.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Sorry, I don't. :)
    24.3 Hz according to my math skills (27.5 - 3(2^(1/12))).
    If you by "handle" mean "reproduce", well, you need a PA woofer or similar (often big speakers) to get the low F# fundamental from it. And you need a good power amp , I guess we're looking into PA-style power amps here... Low frequencies also tend to eat watts, why we're looking into powerful amps with many watts.
    :)

Bag End has a line of devices called ELF integrators, which strengthens the lower frequencies of the signal, and they also make ELF compatible cabs, to push out these low frequencies. They have a 2x12 that goes down to 8 Hz! :eek: (http://www.bagend.com/d12e-c.htm)

In any case, to push out a low F# would cost a fair amount of $. :cool:

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Thanks, musselgossen. ;)
    About watts (impressive, that ELF thing): I don't play stadiums, more small venues, like 400-500 people. When I play behind the choir, with a grand piano and drums, I set the volume knob of my 150W/15" combo at "7.30" - some say I cut through to much...

Do I really need much more amp/speaker to reproduce a nice F#?

(Moderators: seems it would be apropriate to copy this to Amps....copy, because I still want more info on tha gauge/scale issue. I am at your mercy ;) )

4. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    Very few people can hear such low notes. You'll probably just feel a rumble. Heck, I already have trouble hearing a low B.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    24 Hz shouldn't be any big problem, unless you're old and/or has damaged hearing. A healthy ear should be able to hear down to 20 Hz. Mine do.

However, unless you want people to rumble with your tone, there is no big need to have the speakers reproducing the fundamentals. With only the overtones at hand, the brain will "fill in the blanks" so to speak, so you could possibly "hear" an F# without actually hearing it! :)
    And some speakers could at least give some reproduction of such low frequencies, even if they're not directly spec'ed for it - it will be cut by some dB, but might still be there.

Your combo might do the trick, Förortslingen ;), although I doubt it... but I can't know for sure, since I have not tried it!

6. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    It must be the damn guitarist I play with who damaged my hearing ! Why must they play so loud? :)

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I feel your pain! :D
    But it's a matter of the individual too - not all people are born with the same frequency range in their ears... :)

8. guitar players playing too loud?!?!...i thought bass players played LOUD?!...i play loud as heck!!!

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You obviously haven't tried to compete with a 100W full stack with the knobs set at ten. :rolleyes:

10. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    With that low F your gonna get some elephants knocking on your door.

School lesson: Elephant can produce and hear sound at lower frequencys that humans cant hear.

11. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    So, that's it then - I just NEED to get that F# :D

12. BassWizard45

BassWizard45 Guest

Apr 1, 2001
    Rome, Georgia
    The lowest frequency a human has ever made out ( to date ), is 16Hz. It must have been in a records book.

13. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Oysterman, you wrote this formula:
    "24.3 Hz according to my math skills (27.5 - 3(2^(1/12)))."
    I've been fooling around with it, and it doesn't work well....

So, I moved some figures around, and finally something turned up that works for all the freq's I know, namely:

f(new)=f(old)x2^(n/12),,,,,,,,,n=number of frets between f(old) and f(new), -n when decending, one octave is 12 halfnotes.

f(old)=A=27.5
    n=-5
    f(new)=F#=20.6 Hz (to be heard as (?): lololololololololo...:D )

Any "theory guru" out there to be our arbiter musicale (or whatever)?

Now, where can I find these 4 mm strings?.....

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yeah, Subbie, that makes a lot more sense. I was never too confident in my own formula... figured something wasn't right with it.

Although your n should be -3, not -5, which gives a low F# frequency of 23.1 Hz. :p

I think Dean Markley manufacture .150" strings... any thicker than that, you have to custom-order them.

15. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Did I make a fool of myself, or did I indeed? ¤sigh¤
    Quite right Oyster, -3 it is, and 23.1 Hz.