Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bough a hipshot detuner....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Jun 16, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    put the bad boy on.

and then took it right off.

i found it easier to just tune down then just flick the switch. call me crazy, for the life of me i couldnt get it to stay in tune....

2. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    It is a little tricky to get used to. First tune your string to pitch. Then drop the lever and bring it back up again. Check your tuning. If the string went flat, retune it the same steps sharp, then repeat. If it goes sharp, tune it flat. Do this until the string stays in tune when you drop and return it. This is similar to stretching a new string when installing it. After the first time doing this, when you tune up in the future, you should only have to do this once, if at all. Once you have the E-string in tune, then set the tuning for the drop. Depending on the string used, I can get mine to drop to C.

Of course, if you decide that you'd rather not bother, let me know and I'll take it off your hands if it matches the tuners I have, I need to intall them on my two newest basses!

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I like mine and use it more than I ever thought I would. If you give yourself time to get used to it I'm pretty sure you won't prefer manually tuning down.

brad cook

4. I'ma gonna have to repeat above: it's a machine...you have to adjust it. Find a "common ground". That little thumbwheel sets your pitch when you flick it, and yes, sometimes it goes sharp or flat upon the return to "e".

It sometimes is more stable with a few more wraps around the post, but not always. It's not a perfect machine, but it is a really good machine in use, and imo, cheap for what you're getting at 50 bucks.

I trust you read all the instructions and all that upon install, and you would have known all of this going in...

I have one on each of my basses, and all are slightly different, just like all basses they're put upon are slightly different.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    well. i put it on. i liked it at first. i understand how to use it and how to set it up. so, i brought it into my studio to play.

i tune up, flicked it up and down, made sure that d was in.

so we started playing and it was all good. as soon as the strings started to break in, i had to re adjust. no problem. so i re adjust.

i just for see being on stage and having to make sure its in tune anyway(which is what i wanted to cut out) so i decided to just take it off and install the old one back on.

as for selling it, i'm going to return it directly to hipshot.

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i did read all the directions. i read it all before i even bought the darn thing.

i would have cancelled it before it came because i needed that 90 dollars. the guys over at hipshot said that they were on back order and since it would be awhile before they get them, that they will contact me before hand. so i figured it would give me time to decide if i wanted it. so, im on the phone with my bank, and they told me it was debted from my account. ok? so, i go home, and there it is. no email, no phone call, no nothing.

im not super upset about it. whatever. i just have to return it now.

7. ok man, let's not have a repeat of the lightbulb Ampeg thread...I'm not being condecending here. :D

If you don't like it, fine. I was just sharing my experiences with the item and my justification for liking it. I do drop D like 5 times in a 15 song set. It's nice to not have to think about it when no one in the band is willing to wait for you to stop and tune.

Ron

8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah i didnt mean to come off snotty. im sure everyone has their opinions on it. i just think its going to be more trouble then its worth. no harm done. i wanted to try it to see if i would like it.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The fact is you're evil for not liking it. Sorry to break it to you.

brad cook

10. Maybe you didn't like it because you forgot to use the hipshot bridge, hipshot nut and string retainer and lastly, hipshot strings?

;) I'm obviously kidding. Don't hate me for this. Hate me because I'm wicked hot. :D

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    although i have em' on all my basses, i really don't use them anymore...

but i do love their ultralights - those things are soooo smooth...

:)

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    :bassist: