Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought '74 Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basmeisje, Jul 25, 2004.

1. basmeisje

basmeisje

Jun 7, 2004
    Hi all,

Yesterday I bought a '74 precision and I love it. It is my disired set up for my Motown/Rockabilly gig. It gives me the tone I want without using my EQ.
    With my Jazz I always used heavy EQ to come near the sound I want, now it's just there, plug and play...

The BassBottomGirl

Yvette

2. I recently bought an Ampeg 8X10 cab and with my SVP-Pro preamp it sounds sooooooo good with my P-Bass. I know what you mean about the EQ thing, I set mine pretty much flat at my last gig and it was FAT!

Congrats on the '74 :hyper:

3. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Good luck with it
    I just bought an American series P-bass(chrome red/black p-gaurd,maple neck :D )and I live it !
    But its still not a vintage P-bass :crying: ,My buddies wort at G.C. and are on full alert for if 70's p-bass,if one throughto call me,and even if they dont buy it from the customer to give them my number so I can get a crack at it.
    I like the 70's era ones,they are in my price range and are very excessable around my area. Have fun :bassist:

4. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i bought my 74 P bass new in '74! sunburst w/ maple neck! Hope you enjoy yours for 30 years too!

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Congrats! I recently picked up a great '75 alder/maple. Refin'ed to light-brown (clear coat probably darkened from cigarette smoke), Dimarzio Model P with cream cover, brass nut, BadAss I bridge... reasonably lightweight, very responsive, and the killer P-sound. Those are great basses.

6. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Hey man,
    If you're willing to travel, I believe there is a 70's-ish P-Bass at the guitar center in Natick Massachusetts. You could call ahead to find out, but I think I saw one from the seventies and I know for a fact that it was missing lots of paint and is probably the most ideal vintage p-bass i have ever seen. If I'm not mistaken It was a sunburst with a tort guard and a rosewood board. Dont quote me on any of this becuase I was in a bit of a rush to leave the store and I didn't get to oggle over it for long. If you're interested call up the store and feel free to take a look at it sometime. Unfortunatley its outta my price range so therefore uve got no competition for it here. Good luck!

7. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Very nice of you,I called my buddy at G.C and if I want it I could get the bass shipped down here,but I just bought a new American p-bass and a 84 Japanese Bullet bass yesterday,I'm out of money for a few weeks,but thanks for thinking of me :D

8. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    sure thing man

its perrty perrty and if i had the money i would jump on it in a heartbeat.

i need a job. :meh: