Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a 5 year old new bass today(jazz V standard question)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scamp, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Scamp

Scamp

Jul 18, 2003
    Finally broke down and decided I was just buying a bass today after wating for a bass I special ordered that never showed up for two months. I bought a fender jazz V standard for what I thought was a decent price at 399. I played it in the store but didn't really mess around with the volume knobs(which obviously I should have). I got home and plugged in and started playing and found that if I don't have the pickups on the same volume it has a humming/buzz sound in the background. I tried it through a headphone amp and its the same thing. I vaguely remembered people saying the old made in mexico jazz basses had a similar problem and looked up the serial number mn8164638 and think this is made in 1998. A bit on the old side for a bass I thought was new.

I am wondering if this problem was a problem on the 5 strings or just on the standard 4 string model. I like the low B on this bass more then I have on the other jazz V's I played at other stores and I went to the store planning on getting a fretless 4 but picked this up after I saw the price and played it. If I hang on to this is it a problem the store can likely fix or something fender will cover under the warranty. Also even though the bass is 5 years old the warranty from fender should still be valid since it was sold to me as new from a dealer right?

It was new out of the box BTW I forgot to mention it but I tried one out and they said they had a new one in a box which he opened up and let me play with before I left.

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I thought all Fender single-coil Jazz pickups had that problem . . .

In any event, I believe a Jazz V "standard" is MIM. I think the only way to fix it would be to replace the stock pickups with humbuckers.

I could be completely off here though.

3. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    That buzzing is normal for single coil pickups if you don't have them at the same volume. These pickups are wound opposite in polarity from each other and cancel the hum IF they are at exactly the same volume. A lot of times proper shielding/grounding techniques will minimize this but not completely remove it (the buzz). A lot of replacement pickups don't have this issue but beware you take a chance on changing the sound on your Jazz and some Jazz pickup sets have two different sizes for the neck and pridge. I would suggest asking some more experienced TBers for info before you make any major moves. I hope this helps. ymmv etc.:bassist:

4. that is just a trait of single coil jazz pickups. you can get hum canceling replacement pickups that are wound so they don't buzz. if it bothers you then you could look into putting some different pickups in there. you didn't spend a lot of the bass and it is popular for people to mod the cheaper fender stuff. I'm not real up on the pickups so mabey someone could suggest something.

5. jieshi

jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    i changed mine to emgs .and i never looked back ;)

6. Scamp

Scamp

Jul 18, 2003
    thanks for the info I didn't know that it was normal as the only two basses i've had before this one were p-bass knockoffs. It doesn't bother me when I know that it is normal behavior as I would normally leave both pickups on 10 anyway. Just didn't know that it was normal.

Is it unusual that a store has a product that long in their stockroom without it being sold. I don't really care as it sounds just fine to me with both volumes the same but i'm curious if the sell through times are often that long or if it was just a fluke.