1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bought a bass from Canada - shipping questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by basss, Jun 25, 2014.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I bought a bass from a Canadian store. They ship UPS ground. I'm wondering if I'm going to get hit with customs fees/taxes after the fact? Anything else I need to know about shipping?

I did a search but everthing I found was Canadians importing gear from the US. I sympathize but lets keep this about going FROM Canada TO the US.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's been a while, but I have not had to pay customs on stuff I got from Canada.

basss likes this.
  3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    How long ago?

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Maybe ten years ago.

5. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    Is it a Godin??

6. tmw

tmw Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    I purchased a Fender ADJV from a TBer in Canada this past January 2014 and UPS charged me a hefty duty even though ALL paperwork from the seller indicated the bass was manufactured in the USA. After some lengthy and testy (on my part) back and forth they agreed it was an error and refunded my money. I even had to get Fender involved to verify that the bass in question was made in the US of US acquired woods. What a mess.

I maintained a file on all the Customs people I had to contact to straighten this out. If you're in the NY/NJ area I can supply you with a list of names, just in case your experience goes awry.

All the best.

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using TalkBass

7. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    It's a Squire - a model thats out of production and I can't find in the US. It's not made in the US - does that mean extra charges?
    Tony - I am in NY - I don't know if there will be any problems yet but thanks. Curious as to how much the charges were? Message me if you want

8. Ask them to ship it through Canada Post, you will wait longer, but pay less. UPS will charge you a bunch of brokerage fees.

lowsound

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  9. tmw

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    basss, If it goes sideways you'll be in contact with all the same people I dealt with, both in US Customs and at UPS. Also, one of the Customs Agents I spoke with (located in NY) indicated that a NAFTA regulation specifically dealt with musical instruments made in the US/Canada/Mexico. Those were duty free entering any of those countries. Like I said, I have all that paperwork and contact info at home. Just let me know if you need any of it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  10. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    OK thanks!

11. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Canada Post is the way to go if its not too late. You will pay excessive ridiculous "brokerage" fee's with UPS. Its a scam.
    I have done hundreds of cross borders deal using Canada Post and USPS and never had a single problem. I used UPS three times and had three problems.

fraublugher likes this.
  12. Yes. I'm at athe Canadian end, but I've been stifed by UPS many times in the past. To the extent that I avoid suppliers who only ship UPS.

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If you don't want a bunch of fees OP use Canada Post. UPS will hit you hard.

Assuming the bass is valued at over $150 you will still probably get hit by customs regardless of shipper. Just Canada Post/USPS fee's will be a fraction of UPS fees. However, UPS will be much faster.

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

NAFTA applies to new instruments only, and only North American instruments. This Squier does not apply. Even then, good luck with that. I have tried the NAFTA defense several times with zero results. Although I did not do it at the border, I did it over the phone.

15. tmw

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    Not entirely true. The Fender I purchased from the Canadian TBer was a 2000 ADJV. UPS did refund me the US Customs Duty and $9 of the collected Brokerage Fee. It took a while.

Neither I nor the seller ever hid the fact that the Bass was used. Additionally, I had to provide a statement from Fender attesting to the bass's manufacture within the US. Fender's response provided the date of manufacture based on the provided Serial Number.

None of the US Customs Agents I encountered ever hinted at NAFTA only applying to new instruments. All packaging paperwork indicated the year and model of the bass as well as its country of manufacture.

You're right that in this particular case an instrument made in Indonesia May not escape US Customs Duty even if manufactured for a US-based corporation. In any event I will provide OP with all the information I acquired throughout my ordeal with UPS.

Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkBass

16. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    " It's a trap ! "

basss likes this.
  17. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Can I quote you on that?

18. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    You already did me thinks. :)

Nafta's a bucket of BS , sorry for your troubles.

19. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    The bass arrived today via FedEx no fuss no muss. It looks like the box was opened but the inner padding was not removed. Shout out to Class Axe in Kemptville Ontario for a smooth transaction.

20. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I believe it depends on where it's made. Forgive me for relaying my experience US-Canada here, but I'm pretty sure it's the exact same thing. I've ordered from both Carvin and Avatar (all items made in US) and never had to pay any extra fees. I don't think that you have to pay anything if the bass you bought was made in Canada. If not, I think there's duty. As for using UPS, I don't think the shipping company makes a difference in anything but speed, so I think you're fine.