1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bought a bass on ebay, arrived with big chunk out of neck. what do I do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BuffaloMcD, Apr 20, 2017.

1. BuffaloMcD

BuffaloMcD

Apr 15, 2017
    Buffalo, NY
    I bought a Spector Euro 5 LX on ebay. There were a dozen pictures of (almost) every angle on the bass, which looked beautiful. The only mention of damage was "It has very mild hazing and fret wear from general handling upon close scrutiny."

When I got it however, it has a pretty significant chunk out of the top of the neck between the 4th and 5th frets. See attached picture.

What do people think? I feel like this should have been described better and photographed. Am I wrong to feel that this is a misrepresentation? This is the first time I've ever bought a bass on ebay.

Should I return it? Should I ask for a discount? Advice appreciated.

IMG_5058.JPG

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Was the packaging damaged? Could this have happened during shipping?
    Doesn't look like it though, appears to be an old ding, but that one above it looks newer.

If you love it, get it repaired & ask the seller to pay.

If you're on the fence about keeping it, demand to return it ASAP.

eBay & PayPal are not hip on people misrepresenting items they sell!

3. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I would first contact the seller to point out the damage to him/her, see what they say. But always do this through the ebay channels, not via email outside of ebay.

Depending on the sellers reply, you can take it from there.

If you don't get a reply, open a ebay/paypal dispute, but give him/her the chance to respond first.

4. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Play it for an hour or more. Let yourself explore the potential relationship that's blossoming. When you stop playing, what's the first thing you think about. If it's the chunk, then it must not be a very compelling bass. The right feeling/sounding bass would make you forget all about that chunk.

Only you know how twisted your inner thoughts can get. Are you the type of person that will obsess about it for years, or will it fade quickly into the realm of "what?"? Only you can make that call.

It never hurts to politely ask for a little kickback. If the seller can keep good ratings and still make money, they may be glad to make you a little happier.

5. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Where are the other dozen of pictures?

You have 2 options, keep it or return it. Asking for a partial refund sounds like you are just didn't feel like asking full asking price and now you hope to recoup the difference because the item is in your possession.

Ghastly likes this.
  6. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    There's no way they just "missed" describing that damage. I wouldn't take it without a complaint.

MMiller28, TinIndian and Ghastly like this.
  7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Looks like there's another dent up on the next fret. Looks like this bass was mishandled, and I would report it to the seller at least.

Spidey2112 and pudgychef like this.
  8. BuffaloMcD

BuffaloMcD

Apr 15, 2017
    Buffalo, NY
    There are definitely two dents, albeit only one is distracting. A better bass player probably doesn't look at his left hand as much as I do, but the big chip is like a fret marker on the fourth fret. It confuses me.

I have gotten in touch with the seller who was very nice, immediately apologized, and offered to refund my money and pay for shipping.

I've also spoken to my bass tech who thinks he might be able to fix it.

9. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    If it was hurt in shipping, that's a claim with the shipping folk. The seller will need to file because he was the one doing the shipping. Was it insured?

If it was just poorly described, then that's a dialogue with the seller. I think I read you bought it on eBay? That true, they can assist you in making it right if the seller is not into cooperating.

Personally, I'd take it to my guitar guy and get an estimate to make it as described and then ask for that amount as a refunded amount. Same goes if it was hurt in shipping. (Money from the shipper in that case) Short of that I'd be returning the bass for a full refund.

Nickweissmusic likes this.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

What does the shipping box look like and what was packing it? I have a hard time believing that mark came during shipping but it is possible.

Mugre likes this.
  11. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Do you have a link to the sale so we can see it? Did he sell it "as is" with no return policy? Even if he did you can always ask for some or all of your money back if he/she wasn't honest about the damage. If he didn't sell with a no return policy, and you don't want it, contact him through eBay only, as JACinc said, and ask for a refund. If none of the pictures showed the damage you should be able to get your money back, might take awhile though. A lot will depend on what type of seller he/she is. Keep all your conversations and make sure it's all through eBay. If your not sure call eBay.
    Good luck.
    Jack

12. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    I would start with this approach.
    if there was no mention of this damage. And pictures did not show it. or omitted it. And it could not be put down to shipping damage..

I would contact the seller immediately. Send him pictures of the damage, as well as the packaging and ask for a complete refund as well as them paying the shipping back.

It would be cleaner and easier to just undo the transaction and make you whole.

**************************************************************************************************

After that, if you LOVE the bass, can't live without it then if the seller makes you a super offer you can't refuse to keep it then go from there. But that will, almost always, turn into a fiasco. The longer you own that bass, the less likely the seller is to take it back.

The clock is ticking and every second it's in your hands the more you own it.

13. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    End of thread right here.

Geri O, SirMjac28 and joinercape like this.
  14. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Actually, I would say the end of the thread was here:

The seller is willing to refund in total, including shipping, now it is up to the OP if he wants to keep it and repair it or return it.

I don't think that anyone can complain at the sellers reply, regardless if he saw it before or not.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm not one to sweat dings here and there. But right there? That's probably the the one spot I look at my bass the most. It would bug me there.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  16. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Good to hear.

JACink likes this.
  17. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Ya got lucky, a good seller. The same think happened to me earlier this year. Bought a used bass, had it for about 2 weeks only to find out the truss rod was broken. I emailed the seller, he took it back with a full refund.

JACink likes this.
  18. Fwiw it is eminently repairable, probably with tinted epoxy. It will probably always look a little different from various angles though. The upper one could actually be harder to fix. If you absolutely love it,get it repaired. If not,send her back.

19. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    get a diskount then play it. if you like it, bumps and bruises don't matter.

20. I wouldn't call that "significant", but if you payed a premium price for it by all means follow a return request, Ebay will honor it.