Bought a bass today and this case came with it.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magic8161, Oct 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    the bass was rather new a 2009 but the case looks looks old. it looks like leather but it may be fake leather. and this tag came on it as well. never seen this before and I cant find nothing on it.

Attached Files:

PortlandBass77 likes this.
  2. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Looks like a remake of the 1960's bag.

gig bag.jpg

Attached Files:

PortlandBass77 likes this.
  3. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Maybe its not a copy

walldaja likes this.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Who would possibly give up that little Fender keytag? That is just pure awesome.

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  5. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Thanks. I Cant find a thing about it anyplace. Its got to be old like the case.

6. I have the bass that belong to John Woodward who was the bass player for Ricky Nelson. It is 1969 Fender P. It has a gig bag that looks very similar to the one you have pictured

7. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Thats very cool

8. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    I bought a 70's era Jazz bass from a CL seller a few years ago and it came with a bag very similar to yours, only it was brown. Ended up selling it on Ebay for $200, which shocked me. Depending on condition and age, those old Fender bags can sell for some serious cash. Do your research, though - if it's a replica, it might be worth nothing.

magic8161 likes this.
  9. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Its hard to find one on goggle. the only one i seen was on reverb. And I cant tell if this one is a copy or the real deal. but I will tell you I found a tag inside that says made in korea. it looks to new to be a real one. but the tag on it seems to say its from the 60,s and if it is a copy its the only one I ever seen.

10. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I can't speak to the pedigree of your bag; official Fender. licensed by, copy of, remake of the original... who knows.

The major differences I do see, between yours, and the one that came wrapped around my '67P when I bought it in 1970 are the clearly defined shape of the headstock. The outer pocket has a pleat allowing it expand a little. The strap, one wide, non adjustable strap (see thumbnail) as opposed to its long, thin adjustable counterpart. And on the back of yours, it looks like padding at the base of the headstock. Mine is a sleeve that actually functions as a handle. Not sure of the real purpose if not a lifting aid.

11. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Yes mine is also a sleeve that you can use as a carring handle. it all points to a real 60ish bag but looks to new. unless it sat someplace and never got used

12. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Ahhh heres the dead give away that its a copy. they didnt use this type of clasp in the 60,s 20161027_122630_resized.jpg

Crater likes this.
  13. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    ^Could that strap be a replacement that was added later?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021