Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a Boss AW-3 auto wah today

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xyllion, Nov 5, 2004.

1. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Just wanted to provide a quick review for anyone that may be looking for auto wah pedals. I'm scalling down my gig rig. I'm tired of hauling my multieffects unit to gigs. Not selling it because I still use it home in my alter ego: solo bass bob. :D

Anyway, I use no effects on nearly all of the songs I play at gigs except for one or two where I'd like to have the auto wah. I went to the local store hoping to pick up the Digitech bass synth wah pedal. Though I knew it wasn't the best out there, the price was right and the sound samples online sounded good. Got to the store, but they don't stock that pedal. So, I tried out two pedals: the Ibanez bass synth pedal and the Boss AW-3 auto wah.

I just plain didn't like the Ibanez pedal. I wanted to use the auto wah specifically for one of the few songs that I use slapping and popping. I could not get the Ibanez pedal to react well to the slap and pop. Sometimes the sound came out and sometimes it didn't. I tried hard. I changed the sensitivity and all the other knobs, but I could not find a setting that I liked.

Then I tried the Boss AW-3. This is a cool pedal. It offers both bass and guitar inputs. It also allows you to connect an EV-5 expression pedal to turn this into a manual wah pedal. The sound was good. I liked the sound that I got from the pedal. The different wah modes give you a good set of choices to pick from. It even includes a "humanizer" mode which makes the notes you play sound like synthesized vocals. I may not ever use that feature, but it is a very interesting effect. All in all, I was very happy. I spent $40 more than I was originally planning, but I think it was worth it. The Boss pedal has the sound that I was looking for.

2. thats really cool. i have been thinking about the AW-3 mainly for the fact that it had auto wah and manual wah...i thought maybe it'd kill two birds with one stone...i haven't gotten it yet, but i am still trying to decide between that and a crybaby...

Charlie

3. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    thank you for this review. i am interested in this pedal. is it possible taht you could share some audio samples with us? :)

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Yea, it's possible. Let me see what I can do. I'm certainly no whiz at playing, but maybe I can find some lines that show off the pedal.

5. I'd like to here the samples too please.

6. do you plan on getting the expression pedal for it as well?

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I have an EV-5 expression pedal that I use with my Lexicon VOrtex, but wasn't planning on using it with the AW-3. I bought the AW-3 for gigs where I need a little on a couple of funky tunes.

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've got one of these pedals too. I like the wah sounds, and while the humanizer thingy is interesting, but it's not something I ever use seriously. It's kind of like one of those one-time gimmick things you use and sounds cool in one song; if you use it again in a different song everyone just goes "buh, he's using that again!?" ;)

9. thats cool...i was just asking because i am still (after 2 years) looking for a good wah pedal. i am looking at the crybaby, but the AW-3 has so many options and extras, i am considering that...i was going to ask about stuff like the range of the sweep, can you get a crybaby sounding sound one it?
    what does it sound like?

Charlie