Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a cello on Ebay a few weeks ago...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by RiseOfTheWooten, Jan 22, 2006.

1. .. I've always wanted to learn to play the cello, so when I saw one on Ebay with a starting bid of 0.99cents and no reserve, I put a bid just for the hell of it. It turned out, I won the auction at AUD$152.50.

I wasn't expecting much of a cello for $150, maybe just something I can have a play with that's all. But it arrived brand new still wrapped in fine paper, with new strings, a bridge and bow, all securely packed in a decent hard cello case.

Earlier this week I took it in to a luthier to get it set up (soundpost adjusted, bridge shaved and positioned, nut shaved), he valued the cello at $800 (which puts it in the same price range for a student model cello), and the hard case at $200. So all up, a $1000 purchase for $150.

I'm pleasantly surprised and happy for taking the leap into the unknown. It could've turned out to be a $150 disaster, although I was prepared to risk it.

Anyone find any gems like this on Ebay or elsewhere?

2. I'm on my web developer's case about posting some new video of me playing my Devilli bass that I bought a few months ago. I took a big chance and it worked for me.

Kneehimiah
    www.ramonpooser.com

3. How much did that set you back? Isn't it great when things work out beautifully.

4. About $489. The best money that I've ever put out for an instrument. Call it cheap, call it whatever, it bridged an important gap for me. YOU'LL HEAR AND SEE IT IF MY WEB DEVELOPER EVER GETS AROUND TO IT (Please, please)!!! I think that the Chinese idea was to find good design, and copy it. They're supposed to be presenting a car on the world market this year.

Kneehimiah
    www.ramonpooser.com