Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a cheap bass today... OLP MM-3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Aug 20, 2004.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been wanting to try a fiver, but really didn't want to spend a lot of money. Nothing amusing turned up locally in my price range used, so I started looking at really inexpensive new basses.

I prefer single humbuckers, which was really proving to be limiting. So, tonight after work I took a drive over to Scam Cash to check out: (bovinehost, avert your eyes, please...)

[​IMG]

The idea of an elm body seems a little odd to me, but it plays nicely and is put together quite well for a $209 bass. It followed me home.

My biggest concern is that I'll really grow to like fivers and quit playing all my favorite fours!

I'm thinking about ginning together a G&L L-1000 type passive tone circuit, since I think I want to replace what I'm sure are really crappy pots and wiring. Also, I wonder if I can rig up coil switching while I'm in there. Anyone ever tried a "real" MM SR5 pickguard on one of these?

If all goes well, I'll feel a little more confident pursuing my ideas for a killer Warmoth Gecko (matte finish swamp ash body with a wenge/wenge neck). It seemed kinda silly making that kind of investment blind... thus the OLP as a testing mule.

2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Ken,

Give up and get a Bongo. You know you want one and I know you want one and now everyone else does, too.

But hey, they don't cost 200 bucks, either.

I'll be very interested in your take on this bass after you've had a bit to get it adjusted and strung up to your liking. My God, you can hardly go wrong for 200 dollars, can you?

My natural Stingray 5 is in danger. I'm thinking of selling it or trading it or something because I never play it, and out of all the SR5s I've had (six or seven, I think), it's definitely in the top two.

This is what the Bongo has done to me. I don't even play a really fine SR5.

Um, anyway.

What are you going to string it with?

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have had an opportunity to play several different OLP 4's and 5's, and even had a 4 awhile ago... there is nothing wrong with the basses, and I even really enjoyed the feel of them! I always had plans to drop the basslines preamp and MM pickup in my 4, but ebay got a hold of the bass before I did.... great score!

P@

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Jack, a Bongo is probably in my future - I just don't know if it'll be a four or a five. I'm hoping this cheap ho will help me decide!

I *was* planning on stringing it with 9050Ms like most of the stable. However, they don't seem to make them in fives! See my related post in Strings - suggestions welcome.

Really, for $200 it was a no-brainer.

5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I saw mention of a Gecko. Geckos are cool. I still badly want one. Oh so badly want one. What I reckon you should do is, get the Gecko, then tell me how good it is. Then I will get mine. Then I will tell you how good it is.

6. Are these OLP basses as good as the Warwick Rockbasses?

7. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I played a OLP MM2 yesterday. MUCH MUCH better than a MM3 .. Sounded like it had real personality, much thinner neck than a real MM, and I found it was a pretty fast neck to get around too. I liked it, if I had to buy another 4 stringer for cheap it'd be an OLP Blue mm2 .. (but I just bought a Traben Phoenix 4 :D ) Can't wait for that to get delivered.

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    BassDmb18 - what didn't you like about the MM-3? I thought it compared very favorably to the other really, really cheap fives I looked at (Squier & Carlo Robelli).

9. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Where did I say I didn't like the MM3 ? I just like the MM2 alot more. The MM3 still good, but for the price, I don't know how the MM2 sounds so good. I liked it better than the S.U.B I bought and returned.

10. I am thinking about selling my SX Fretless and picking up one of these puppies.

Any words of advice? should I go for it? Im mainly looking for comfort,than sound. It's obvious it's a beaut(SR's shapes are s3x)

This too would be my first 5,because im tired of changing my tunings for the songs we play:)

Any advice would be appreciated,thanks.

P.S- I heard it's heavy,exactly how heavy?

11. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Try out the OLP MM2 .. not heavy at all, better sounding, very little more money. (maybe $20-40).

12. This is very possible. If you find it happening to you, don't fight it; it's for the greater good. :bassist:

Good luck with the OLP, and welcome to the world of 5s, Ken.

Mike ;)

13. is the MM2 5string?

14. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Yes, they made a limited amount in 5 string, when they first came out they were everywhere. Now they are harder to find. Usually you will find the MM2 on Ebay in the discontinued Silver Color (looks awsome!)
    :bassist:

15. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    here's a 4 with the silver

[​IMG]

16. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Hey Bassdmb you gotta hit us off with some awesome Traben & OLP recordings. And some pics of them all together. Yeah!!

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The dogs are funny about that low B. You should see the looks I get from Hawk!