Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a Cirrus 5 string =)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fragcon, Jul 12, 2004.

1. fragcon

fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Check this bass out. It is amazing. I got it used from the guys at bass central. Was impressed at their store too. Thx grasshopper, gard and perry :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. beautiful, absolutely beautiful...come the end of August I'll have me a 6'er...i'm really excited about it...enjoy that beautiful bass

3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Sweet looking Cirrus

4. nice, VERY nice, all those Cirrusses here on talkbass make my G.A.S coming up, unfortunately, not enough money

5. Nice!

6. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Man, I love that thing...

Too bad the ~$1000 i had saved up for my cirrus just got thrown down the toilet this morning as i got a phone call from the auto repair shop saying my transmission needs to be replaced in my car....and thatll be $1200....sweet!

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Beautimus.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice! Looks a lot like my tigereye six.:) Congratulations!

9. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    never thought peavy could put out anything decent till i saw cirus basses.

and thats a damn nice top on the thing!

10. blen dem

blen dem Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2001
    USA, Vallejo
    great chocie, that is a beauty! was it just me or was the Cirrus 6-string review on this months BP cut short?

11. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Not just you....I've got the same thing.

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Schweet! I particularly like the quilt on that top!

Re: This month's BP article -- yeah, mine was cut off mid-sentence, too. Same thing was mentioned in an earlier thread but I hadn't picked up a copy yet when I read that one.

Here's another question about the BP article: They spec mahogany for the body wings. Has Peavey started using mahogany instead of alder on the Tiger Eye model, or at least on the new maple fingerboard version? What gives there?

Also, notice the Cirrus ad on page 55. I remember reading about a lower-tier Cirrus model being introduced, and it would seem that the bass pictured there is such a specimen. Didn't find a mention of this version on the Peavey website, though... Hmmm... anyone know anything about this?

:)

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, they're bringing out a Korean made version - Cirrus BXP. The US model will stay.

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Now THAT is exciting. Finally a po' man's Cirrus!

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    fragcon -

Hey, glad to see the bass made it home safe! Did you get the case OK? Never heard....

It was good having you in the shop, sorry I wasn't able to hang much, but as you saw we are pretty busy in there most of the time.

Beautiful bass by the way, you easily made the RIGHT choice with that one. :)

Guess we'll be seeing you in the fall!

16. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Oooohhh, that's nice. :eek:

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I checked out a four string Cirrus at my local dealer and I was really impressed. Peavey needs to be applauded for making a bass of this quality at that price (the one I saw was about $1295). The quality of a Cirrus is in the Ken Smith, Fodera range at a Musicman price! I think that the Cirrus is an absolute steal. I also checked out a USA made Peavy Millenium Bass with the Lakland style pickup scheme (J & MM). I thought it was really great too, especially for under $600.

18. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ve seen some used Cirrus 4 under $600.
    That deal is ever better.

19. fragcon

fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Gard,
    The case came and its fine. Thx for everything again.

20. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I finally played a Cirrus today, a 1999 5'er in Wenge.

Wow, I can see what people mean. Apart from being great value for money, these are great basses PERIOD.

Great neck, very easy to play. The articulacy of the sound reminds me of an MTD. Great B string.

My only slight beef is that there wasn't quite enough 'thump' from the neck pickup.