1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bought a Crate BX-100 at the pawn shop!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scurrier, Mar 11, 2009.

1. scurrier

scurrier

Mar 7, 2009
    Got it for $125. Had them turn it on and it took a second to come on... which kind of turned me off but it worked fine after that. It was very noisey sounding at only half volume so I had them swap out the crappy Squire that they plugged into it and plug in better bass with humbuckers. That fixed the noise so I got them to drop the price from $150 and I was out the door. Only thing that bothered me as I was carrying it into my house was that I noticed one or two of the rivets on top were a little rusted. Rain? I don't know, but it seems to be working fine to me. I figured it would be a decent electronics experiment to fix if it is indeed broken.

Low and behold, I get home and my brother is in the bathroom. You know what that calls for...
    attachment.
    (Note the EQ) I think I found the brown note

Happy first post to me
    I play guitar and bass, originally introduced to music on the keys. I tinker with recording for fun.

Attached Files:

2. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to talkbass! The place that will end up giving you gas till your house is filled with bass gear.

3. scurrier

scurrier

Mar 7, 2009
    Thanks man! I think I have enough GAS without the forums but I could always use some more.

4. scurrier

scurrier

Mar 7, 2009
    I've got to say after playing for a little bit with this amp, it seems to be way ahead of the bx-25 practice amp I've been using. I was able to get a decent tone out of that one that I liked, but only at extremely low volume. This amp definitely goes lower in frequency and seems much more than 2 times louder... I'll attribute that to the bigger speaker. Given what I thought of my BX-25 (which was that it was OK, but sucked just a little bit), it seems like this amp is in a different family, even though it isn't.

5. Many amps have a turn on delay of a few seconds to allow the amp to settle after power is applied. If you switch the amp on you should hear a faint click as the relay operates to connect the speakers.

Paul

6. BAW

BAW

Aug 1, 2008
    Long Island
    these amps rule. i have one and it served me well. so sad the speaker crapped out on me after years of abuse.

7. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I used/abused one of these for 2 years straight when I lived in Boston. Amp never left the band's van and went through major temperature changes without any issues. Tone was OK. A true workhorse...

8. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

+1.....yeah welcome... You can always beat gas if you leave your credit cards at home when you go to any music store....lol )-(

9. scurrier

scurrier

Mar 7, 2009
    It lasted for 15 seconds or more. I think that there was a setting that he was messing with that eventually made it work... I wasn't really paying attention.

Good to hear that it can put up with that kind of abuse. Let's see how mine does!