Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a Curbow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, May 28, 2002.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Had to do it - the deal was just too good to pass up. It is one of Greg's original protoypes that he made before going to market.

Just spoke to Greg and he said he built it himself around '85 or '86 and that it is a nice one.

I am truly fired up about this one because I have always admired his basses.

Here's the info on the one i got:
    Check it out

These next few days are going to drag by while I wait for it to get here.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    dude, that bass kills! i played it just last friday at bass northwest. the upper frets are kinda hard to reach, and there are several, uhhh.....boo boos on the front of the fingerboard, but, man...it sounds awesome. kinda worn underneath the strings, too, in a vic wooten kind of way. speaking of which, this bass sounds a lot like the flame top vw classic fodera they have. you'll be loving this one.

3. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Nice! Yeah, I noticed the worn spots and the guys at bass nw told me about it, but I figured what the hell, especially after rapping with Greg about it.

I've been wanting a more versatile 4-string fretted (my other is my old '82 p-bass) to complete my collection and methinks this should finally do it.

Of course, as always, the hardest part will be keeping it hidden from the wife long enough so that when I finally do tell her about it, the purchase will have been so long ago that she won't care by then. ;)

This practice has worked with two basses (so far), a cab and several effects. Good hiding places are key!

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, this bass is quite the foil to your p-bass. it sounds pretty raspy and snarly...really pissed off and aggressive sounding. and a slap tone to die for. i'm tellin' ya, this bass rocks...and isn't greg an awesome guy? i've talked to him several times about my curbow rockwood 6'er. have fun, man...and good luck hidin' it from the wifey.

5. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Okay, now I'm REALLY drooling!!

Greg is a GREAT guy! Really personable and extremely accessable. I had e-mailed him, fearing that I was going to be wasting his time, but he returned my e-mail right away, asking me to call him, which I immediately did.

Thanks for the good words, neptoon!

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm about to get my 4th Curbow (any day now....), and they are amazing basses. I kept looking at it thinking I might have to buy it. I'm glad you did because I can't justify any more 4 string fretted basses, and I'd be killed by the girlfriend!

I'm going to have to talk to Greg about the age of that one. I remember him making it, and it was closer to '90-'92. He went to that Stenciled style on the headstock after he had made my fretless that I got in 1989, and that body style didn't exist until a little later than 1988. It's still one of the earlier ones in the Int'l Petite style, and very much in the "golden age" of Curbows. Of course, I could be wrong.

You're going to be surprised how nice it is. The necks are great, and they sound a lot bigger than they are. You'll love it. If you can take 5, or 6 quality photos of it (digitally, or regular) and get them to me, I'll put them in the gallery of the Curbow website.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    it's a '92...i checked out the headstock when i played it.

8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Damn, I'm good. :rolleyes: :D

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    indeed...

man, was that an awesome bass. i think the next bass i get will have mahogany as a body wood. that stuff sounds really great.

10. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Right on, fellas! I'll definitely try & get some digitals of her when she arrives.

My Fortress fretless is hitting ye ol' consignment today, if, fo no other reason than to get it out of the house so it doesn't look like I've "added anything new lately".;)

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Been there. Done that.

"No, I've had that bass head for a while now, dear."

Granted, that is only because I managed to keep it a secret for a couple of months....;)

12. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    bassmonkee: I hid my 6-string from my wife for 4 months last year and she didn't see it until I played it at my previous band's first gig. Fortunately, she was too intent on watching us to be able to pay attention to what I was playing.

I still haven't told her about my Tune fretless. I imagine that, once I sell my Warwick, I can break the news of one of these to her more gently and easily.

"Look, dear - I sold my Warwick so I wouldn't take any more bread out of the account for a bass I really needed!"

;)

Feelin' less and less guilty by the minute!

13. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    neptoon - I got the Curbow last Friday and *oh my God* what a slap tone!!! Truly a sick beast - still can't get over it.

The slap circuit on this thing is amazing - one minute your sound is mellow, the next, you're getting a Stingray (or better) slap tone out of it. Very unique preamp/EQ - provides some interesting sounds that one would normally only get out of an effects box.

I wanted something versatile and I got it alright! Man, what a beaut!

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the scratches etched into the wood below the strings. I've only added to them since I got it. Maybe some sort of bizarre stick-on pickguard that just covers that area?

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    nah, the scratches are just character ;) i told you that you would dig it. i loved the sounds i got out of it. really sweet....and plays like butter. i'm glad you dig it, man

15. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Scratches good. Putting a pickguard on that Curbow bad. :D

I'm glad you like it. They are great basses.

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

yesh.....pickguard=cardinal sin :D

and indeed they are good basses...that one in particular is exceptional. didn't you play that one, jason?

17. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Yeah - the pickguard was a short-lived, fleeting thought, thankfully. Hey, if scratches are good enough for Victor and his Foderas, they're good enough for me, eh?

;)

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, I've played it, but it was about 9, or 10 years ago. I'm sure it's great. What strings are you going to use on it?

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I just got this pic from Curbow of my 8 string fretless that will be done next weekend. I can't wait! I'm already planning the next one, too....

[​IMG]

19. Planet -- I don't know, the Retro models ahve pickguards, and Adam Nitti plays one of those in addition to his Petite 6. If it's good enough for Adam, it's certainly good enough for me! :)

Jason,

Sweeeeet! Now if I could only get Curbow to send me pictures of the drawings he's doing for my 6, I'd be set. That is, I could be ever so slightly more patient and cut my annoying inquiries down to just one or two per week. :)

Mike

20. I talked to Greg yesterday, and my custom Jazz bass will be ready this weekend! Bassmonkeee and me are going up there on Saturday. Pics and a full description to come!