Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a d112 AKG

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    thoughts? experience? pearls of wisdom re:this mic? Anyway, Seems like a good choice for a bass cab mic as it handles high SPL.

2. I use one, they're good. When I'm recording I place the D112 right in front of one of the speaker cones on my 4x10 cab, and put my AKG Solidtube in front of the tweeter, then blend the two together. From experience I prefer the sound I can get from this to just DI'ing the bass.

EDIT- We use it live as well to mic up the kick drum, which sometimes gets a bit lost when you're playing live.

3. D112's are great bass and kick mics.

I love to mic a cab and take a DI and combine the two signals when I record.

What did you pay for the D112?

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Got it for $150. I have an RBI that I bought from our most excellent supporting member, Schwinn. I am planning on mixing the RBI's signal with the D112.

5. Me' pops got me one for X-mas a while back. I use it on my 10s and inside the kick.

Live, it goes on the kick and I go direct.

It's got a hump in the clickity area that always end up EQing out on bass. On kick I use it for the ultra lows and clickitty, then add my ksm32 back a bit to fill out the meat.

It works, but it takes some tweaking. But I know it so there's no point in dumping it.

Screamo backups ( w/ a low cut, of course) through it rule.