1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bought a Drive CD 300B combo, can't find anything about them.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Jul 21, 2012.

1. So I got a deal, and financed a used Drive CD 300 at the local shop. Not a bad little amp, looks real nice and plays pretty good from what i've heard so far. It was the highest watt for the cheapest price that the shop had used. Tried to do some research but I cannot find anything about the company Drive. From the looks of it they don't exist anymore.

From what I could find, the CD 300 is supposed to be 30 watts. But there is a stamped metal tag on the back that says 45W. Haven't put it through the paces yet, but it gets the job done and seems sturdy enough. I would like to find out how old it is, what the price was new, if it's 30 or 45W and what the reputation of Drive was. Anybody know?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I've seen a couple little guitar practice amps labeled "Drive". Don't really know anything about them other than being a budget line. Have no idea of sound quality/build quality, etc. See them in pawn shops from time to time.

The 45 watts is likely what it draws from the wall outlet to make it's 30 watts of amp power (nothing is 100% efficient).

Can't find a,website for them anywhere, maybe out of business.

3. Yeah I think you're right, the stamp is on the back of the head above the power cable.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Then that's what it is. It's for doing load calcs. for how much stuff you can run on a single circuit. It likely is a 30 watt amp, as the model name would (sort of?) imply.

5. BloozBass

BloozBass

Oct 29, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    I've got a CD 200 - 20 watts into an 8" speaker. It came free with a Rogue 5-string bass I bought from MF several years ago. They were made by Switch Music, which appears to have discontinued making anything but guitars. I have used it around the house as a practice amp, but wasn't overly pleased with the tone I got from the 8" speaker. Within the last 2 weeks, I have removed the head and built an enclosure for it, and thrown out the cab and speaker. The only electronic mod I had to make was cutting the speaker leads and installing a speaker out jack on the back of the head, and soldering on the wires. I love the sound of the head through my 210AV, and it also sounds pretty full through the 15 in my B15-T. I think you'll find it more than suits your needs for practice around the house, and low-level living room jams with friends.

Blooz :bassist:

6. Thanks for the info. It's got plenty of ooomph for my needs, I was just going to use it for practice in my room anyways. I was really in the market for something like a 10 or 15 watt, but they had this for cheaper. I can jam with some friends who play guitar and not have to worry about being muted if I wanted to.

Blooz, how old is yours? My serial number has an 07 for the first numbers, I was thinking maybe it's a 2007? But I have no idea.

7. BloozBass

BloozBass

Oct 29, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    You might be on to something with the date. Mine starts C04, and it came to me in mid 2005. The fact it was a giveaway indicates to me that perhaps it had been sitting around awhile.

Blooz :bassist:

8. Cool, sounds about right.