Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a Fender 4-string MIM Deluxe Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JOME77, May 25, 2003.

1. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    A few months ago I did some work on guys '64 white Fender Jazz and really got GAS for a 4-string Fender. It's been 24 years since I owned a Fender (yeah I'm showing my age!)and it really brought back some good memories of the early Fenders I played. I started looking into some of the various Jazz basses (man there's a lot of them!) and decided that the MIM Deluxe Jazz would best suit my needs. Mainly because it has an Alder body and the US electronics and P/U's. I recently found a good deal on a used MIM Deluxe on Bassgear.com and made the plunge. It really set-up great and is a blast to play! I can't imagine a USA model sounding or playing any better.

2. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    That's sweet.My friend Ronnie recently bought one off of a guy who didn't know the first thing about basses,and had one that was a few years old,never played it,parents bought it for him,anyway,my friend Ronnie got it for 150,it is a MIA Deluxe...I am now no longer friends with him;)

3. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    wow....v. nice! I've been wanting a jazz for a while now, either white or natural, with a tortoise guard.

good score!

BTB

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    That's a nice bass! What kind of bridge is that? An ABM?

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Nice score!!!! Seems like a few TBers are getting MIM Deluxes!!!!!

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Good basses.

I picked this baby up about a month ago, it kicks so much arse.

7. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Yeah. It's an ABM. The original bridge (and all Fender style bridges) just rattle too much for me. I also like the top string load bridge verses the feed thru. The ABM seemed to tighten up the sound a bit also!

8. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Nino,
    I've been noticing that too. It's really a big bang for the buck. My largest concern was whether the neck would be up to my spec's but no problem there! It really set up great. Very responsive to the truss rod and a very true fret job! I remember paying $700-$800 for Jazz basses in the 70's that weren't nearly as nice as this one! It's also nice having the blend control in lieu of 2 volumes! I tried a couple of passive US & MIM Jazz basses but they just didn't do it for me. I guess that I'm just an active kind of guy. I may try some passive Basslines down the road. Anyone have any other good passive P/U suggestions?

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    This one just turned two, and it is a great bass:bassist: