Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a GK 700RB-II last week...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sgtthump, Jun 9, 2005.

1. ... and I'm VERY impressed with it! I've been using an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro, which sounds great and is loud, but is a little too big and bulky for me. I've decided to condense my rig a little, which is the only reason I went for the GK. I originally wanted the 1001RB-II for the extra wattage, but to be honest, this 700RB-II is freaking loud and punchy as is!!!

I bought the GK head last Thursday, so I'd have it to run it through the paces at a gig this past Saturday. It was an outside gig and I was very concerned with the power. Once I fired it up and we did a sound check, I realized right away I had nothing to worry about! The amp is a monster!!!

We didn't mic the bass or guitars at this outside gig and I had tons of power to spare. I had the master volume up around 11:00 o'clock with much more room to go and it was plenty loud enough. I was even asked to turn down after 3-4 songs! I was pumping! :)

I used it with an Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab and those two go together perfectly.

I'll be honest, I think this GK 700RB-II at 480-watts is every bit as loud as the Ampeg SVT 4 Pro, which is supposed to be 1200-watts bridged mono. How does that work? Does GK rate their amps lower than other manufacturers or does Ampeg rate their amps higher? I dunno, but it seemed just as loud to me and it's roughly 1/3rd the wattage.

If anyone's considering the 700RB-II, but is concerned with the wattage, DON'T BE! It's a loud punchy amp that weighs under 20lbs!

I'm selling the Ampeg SVT 4 Pro and sticking with the GK. I love the tone of the 4 Pro, but the small compact size/weight of the GK is a big selling point with me right now. ROCK ON!!!!

Does anyone else use a 700RB-II? What's your experiences?

[​IMG]

Chris

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    and I'm very happy that yours worked well at an outside gig, because I have one coming up this Saturday. I'll be running it through an SWR Goliath III 4x10" and GK Neo112 to get the 480 watts at 4 ohms and move more air that I would with the 410 alone.

I also have the previous generation 700RB, and bought this one simply to have two heads, with the older one as backup. I didn't even test it before purchase, and assumed it would be similar to the older model, with slightly more headroom.

Not so. The Mk. II is vastly superior, and I was stunned at the improvement. It feels like four times the power, and the tone is much richer and warmer, with absolutely ZERO loss in clarity. That re-voice EQ is a major advance.

For my most recent gig, I couldn't bring my Goliath III, so I relied on this head and the Neo112 for a club rock show (loud drummer and one guitar). I feared the volume wouldn't cut it, but with a little compression this "mini rig" rocked the house. The soundman called the tone "massive." There's no way I would have had that result with the older model.

I think GK has hit home runs with the new line of RB heads and the Neo cabs. I might sell the Goliath III and get a Neo212.

3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I have one. I also originally planned to buy the 1001RB-II until I considered the fact that my 300 watt Hartke has never even been stressed with my hard rock cover band(s). At practice I'm usually too loud and the larger clubs I play I have to go through the PA anyway, so why not save some cash and just buy the 700RB-II.

No regrets about opting for the 700RB-II since my purchase back in November. Sounds sweet too.

4. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I am also a proud owner of one of these tone machines.
    Clear, Loud, Headroom, Lightweight, ergonomic EQ.
    What else could you want with an amp. For the record, I play mine with an Eden 212 and the sound is fantastic no matter the location.

danman

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    glad to hear about another happy fellow GK owner. Amen to the punch.

6. Cool guys! Thanks for sharing! I really couldn't be more satisfied with the 700RB-II. I think it sounds GREAT! Also, I normally use a SansAmp (either pedal or rack unit) with my Ampeg, but I can actually dial in the GK to sound pretty darn similar to the SansAmp stuff. Turn the contour up to scoop out the mids and bring up the growl settings and BAM! Not exact, but pretty close.

I didn't use my SansAmp stuff at the gig last Saturday, because I wanted to give the amp a go by itself. I didn't miss the SansAmp stuff at all!

:hyper:

Chris

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm a big fan of the tone from the new GK heads. I'm planning on getting the 1001RB-II eventually.

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Love the hell out of mine as well.

I noticed you have it situated in the top of your rack - I'm assuming that this is due to the location of the fan? I should probably do this myself.

9. Yep, that's the only reason I have it on top. I want it on the bottom with the GMajor the next slot up, then the AC power conditioner on top. That's the "normal" way I'd do it, but the manual said to leave 1/2" of room on the top to allow ventilation. When I rack it in the top position, there is around 1/2" of room, so it works pretty good.

Plus, that gig this last Saturday was outside in 90 degree weather (at the beginning of the gig anyway) and it didn't burp. It ran great all night, so I guess I have enough ventilation. lol...!

Chris

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Right on - looks like I have some rearranging to do... :D

I play a Stingray through mine as well and it sounds great, but a little treble goes a LOOOOONG way with that combination.

11. I agree on the treble part! I have the horn in my cab turned down quite a bit and the presence on the head all the way off to compensate. That seems to work well!

Chris

12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I went with the 700RBII about two months ago, and paired it with a JBL JRX125 PA cab - 2X15s and a 1"-throat horn. This cab is just made for tight bass, even though the low-end rolloff is 42Hz for -3dB; even at -10dB it's only 35Hz (I play a low-B fiver), but she really barks nice and tight and authorative-like! One audio-drawback with it is that when you're really approaching max-output, the bass ports start to 'huff' (it's pretty noticable, but the volume is at an insane level by then). It never gets 'farty' - just nice-and-tight plus fftlfftlfftlfftl (like "an exhaust leak at the manifold")...

I love this GK head. One thing that I don't get - and this might be one of the differences between the originals and the series-II that I hear about - is how folks are always saying how clean-clean-clean they are. My seven-hundred can sound warm and compressed - even almost tuby-mushy, really - if you use the boost and volume to kick-up the gain into the Gate Induced Valve Effect (G.I.V.E) circuitry that's just before post direct-out, which is just before the the master volume. There's a wide range of gain that falls between clean and clipping-quack; this makes it very versitile that way. I've found it useful to use a tenth-harmony to judge how much 'warmth' I'm inducing with the gain - you can hear it start to 'grind' and mush-up a little as you increase the gain; after much gain increase starting to finally 'quack' from clipping - but never the violent clicking, crackling sound that you'd get from an SWR, for instance. You can even max the volume and boost to get heavy distortion, which is a good-sounding distortion on its own. Else you can run it very crisp and clean - but still not what you'd call like 'transparent hi-fi' or 'sterile' - by running the boost down, and master up.

I've been incessantly playing with the controls, trying to optimize my sound (I even decided to give T.I. Jazz flats a try, from the various round-wounds that I had used for ever), and I always end-up with the high-mids knob boosted - even maxed, the 5KHz crossover engaged (highcut-filter in my case, because I'm not using a biamped tweeter), and the treble reduced a bit; lows and low-mids I'm still working with a little, but they're always very close to flat. The conture control is only used for 'dub-tone', but it works great, in that I can just take it from all-the-way down to all-the-way up for this sound, and don't have to compensate volume or adjust anything else on the amp (just go to neck pickup with tone rolled-off). With rounds I always ran the five-string button in, but since I went to flats I think maybe it sounds better flat (4-string position).

One thing I still haven't decided what to do with is the 'presence' voicing control - it's a powerful control, and its effect interacts a lot with that of the treble control. I'm still working toward the best combination of treble and presence.

I also like the variable-speed, minimum-noise fan.

Joe

13. I hear ya Joe P. I expected it to sound clean and sterile, but mine has a growl that sounds fantastic! It can get real dirty.

Chris

14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, the "dirty" tones are much better with this new series, and I agree it isn't sterile at all. I rely heavily on the boost control, and it delivers serious growl. I didn't use it as much on the old model.

15. I have a 400RB III, which I love to death, its punchy as hell, and loud too, as stating to a portential buyer of my amp- it's the loudest 240w @ 4ohms you'll hear, short of an all tube and even then it's pretty close.

I am not far off getting an old school GK 800RB, hopefully thats as evey bit as good- Obviously it wont have the improvments of the new modles- but it should have the tone I am after and the old school look.

IF I dont like it- I can always go back to a higher power 700RB II, but I doubt I'll need anything more than the 800rb ;-)

16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'd like to try that big one (2001?) that has the foot-switchable distortion channel. There's a seperate set of tone controls, optimized for the overdrive.

I know GK makes a preamp with this same set of controls, but I have a feeling that GK's power amp is an appreciable part of that killer tone. Do any TB'ers use the GK pre?

Hm - I wonder if it would go-over if GK made a power amp?

Joe

17. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've heard the 2001RB doesn't sound the same as the Series II heads. Basically its a bigger version of teh old 700 and 1001 series Is, which to me didn't sound as nice.

Maybe a 21101RB-II is in the works?

18. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I had the 2001RB and used it for several years. It was a great amp. Way more power than I ever needed and a very good sound. I haven't tried the newer versions but I expect them to be every bit as good.

I sold the 2001 when I downsized a little over a year ago and use a Mesa Walkabout now. Also a fantastic amp.