Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a Godin Freeway

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oversoul, Dec 23, 2004.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Tha's right, sweet little bass it is, naturally loud, clean sounding passive system, crispy slaps, nice maple top (whole bass is maple, strings trough body), even got lucky and the neck shows a mild pattern of birdseye to it, not exactly the most charming bass in the world, but I got an excellent work bass and saved 250€ in not getting the TRB1005, or JP's piezo Zia, the offer was tempting man, but I really need to get a cab too :crying: :scowl:

2. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I love my Freeway 5. The P pick-up is one of the highest output passive pick-ups I've heard! I had to switch the bridge pick up to an Ultra Jazz, the stock one was way too noisy. Mine also has the bird's eye neck. I put a Seymour Duncan STC3 in mine for some extra tone versatility. Overall a very well put together gigging instrument!

3. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I was thinking I could sand it so the flame top would get more noticeable, it should be a crime to stain a flame maple top with dark brown!! :eyebrow:

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cool buy. I have a Godin SD (put bartolini pups in it) and it kicks.

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I'm pretty sure they all have Birdseye necks.

Tried one in a shop, had a nice sota V-shaped neck?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They dont all have birdseye, just some. Mine has a nice figured maple neck with some flame and birdseye.

Yea the neck is a unique shape. It definitely has a V ness to it, heh.

7. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    All of the Freeways that I have seen in stores don't have the bird's eye. The BG's I've seen have the bird's eye, and a different neck shape. The pre-amp I put in in is the same as the BG's, so I feel like I got a BG on a budget!

The neck on my Freeway5 is very easy to play. It is similar to a SR5, IMO.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Godin is the stealth guitar company. Nobody seems to know about them, yet they make fantastic instruments and they keep them cheap! We carry quite a few of them at my store (even the basses!), and I've developed a serious case of GAS for one of their synth access guitars.

Man, them be hot!

[​IMG]

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    my friend/guitarist uses a godin as well (lg sp90) and it kicks.

10. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    what surprises me about this bass is that is naturally loud sounding, with a set of Ernies on this baby bites hard (maybe too much, need to try other sets), even my folks claimed " I prefered the other one, didn't made that much noise" :eyebrow:

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I, too, have a Godin SD-4. The thing that attracted me about it is that it's built like a tank! The pickups do have huge output, though they're a little too bright for me. I put flats on mine, which makes for an interesting sound.

Definitely a bang-for-the-buck bass. I could have paid $300 more than I did for this sort of quality.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I too thought the stock pickups were a little bright , so i put Bartolini Pickups in it and that solved that. Although now im putting 500k pots in to open up the treble a little more. I guess tahts almost like a step backwards, but i feel that barts with 500k pots will sound better than just the original pups.