1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bought a Honda Element

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Apr 6, 2006.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Picking it up tomorrow!!:hyper:

[​IMG]

Its a 2004 EX w/ 40k mi. fully loaded for $16,900.

Well, after crunching numbers, test driving, emailing and calling dealers galore my new car search has come to an end. Practicality set in, and close comparison led to me pulling the trigger on the Element. It's an awesome vehicle. So many useful stock options. I do a lot of road-trips, camping, snowboarding, kayaking etc...so it's a perfect vehicle for me. Plus I have 2 dogs who are almost always with me, and it's great for them.

I really wanted a new Xterra, but I just can't afford it. i love the way it looks, and the new engine is seriously sick. However, I drive 50 mi. a day to work and back so mileage is a big issue for me. Anyway, I think I made out pretty well. I ended up saving almost $10k off what I would've spent on a new Xterra. Plus my payments are gonna be much more manageable.:bassist:

2. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I'm glad its working for you. My only beef with the thing is the unpainted fenders otherwise seems like a great vehicle.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Welcome to the Honda Family! I've owned an Acura Integra and now I drive an Acura RSX typeS. You will come to know and love honda reliability!

4. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Nice ride! I had an Acura 2.2CL a few years ago...nice car.

5. 43, welcome to the family!

:hyper:

You're gonna love that car more every day you drive it!

:)

Did you get the 4wd version with the goofy "moonroof" in the back?

;)

The '05 and '06 models are available with "matching" fenders (they're still the plastic quarter panels). Personally, I like the "personality" that the unpainted fenders give the car, they really set them apart, and I don't like the painted fenders at all!

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Congrats! I think I've settled on getting an Element, too. Now to decide whether to go new or used. I know I for one LIKE the contrasting body panels - it's looking like the orange color I want is now only available with painted panels, to my dismay. That argues for used... but finding a used orange one with a 5-speed manual is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Patience, I tell myself.

50 mile commute? I used to do 80 each way - in a '97 Honda Prelude. At 160k miles, driven to redline everyday, autocrossed and otherwise well-used, that car ran as well the day I sold it as the day I bought it. I'm back in the Honda family with an S2000 now but I'm thinking I've had enough of the sports car thing for now.

I guess what I mean to say is: 1. Yay Honda, 2. Yay Element, and 3. Congrats!

:bassist:

edit: I see Gard beat me to the fender color observation. Great minds think alike, right? ;)

7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    My sister has an Element. I really dig it.

Once I'm in the position to buy a new(used) car, those are going to be very high on my list.

8. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    Welcome to the family. You'll soon find that there's nothing you can't fit in that vehicle. :)

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'm on my second one. Great umm... car?

10. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yeah, I'm psyched. It's a 4WD EX package. I prefer the look of the composite panels too. However, they had an '06 EXP in atomic blue at the dealer that was sick!!

I already love it and i haven't picked it up yet. The features and stock options are unbeatable in the price range.

I was going to go new, but given Honda's reputation for reliability I decided to go certified pre-owned and save a couple grand. I think it was a smart move. When all said and done I'm financing $14k on a virtually brand new vehicle. Much better than $20k.

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Sweet!

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I dont really like the looks of most of the hybrids out there, but you can't go wrong with a Honda IMO. Im on my 2nd Accord myself. The accord hybrid is one of the few Id like to have, as it doesnt look any different than the gasoline one, gets 15 more hp, and better gas mileage to boot. However, the hybrid accord is a lot more expensive, and in more demand so you can't bargain as good a deal on those.

As a side note, why do they always seem to design hybrids to look "futuristic" or something? I know a lot of folks really like the looks of their hybrids, but it seems like a love or hate thing. I bet if more manufacturers would make hybrid versions of their existing models, and not try and design a ground up new model for them, a lot more of them might get sold.

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    As much as I appreciate the ecological aspect of this vehicle, I think it is one ugly car. Sorry dude, these kind of things never floated my boat. Reminds me of that fugly Fiat Schumacher used to advertise for.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow, X-Terra or Element, those are two VERY different Vehicles. The X-Terra being a truck-framed conventional 4x4 and the Element being a car-based SUV. I hope you're not planning on doing any of the serious 4x4 action that the X-Terra was designed for, because the Element will not be able to handle it. Dirt roads, beaches, and light stuff is no problem, but leave the more extreme 4x4 for others.

The local radio car guy around here loves the Element - he says it's one of the most useful practical vehicles ever sold. However, he hates the black plastic body panels - apparently they discolor and fade very quickly, look hideous, and are paractically impossible to maintain. He recommends getting them painted the body color - if you look around at Elements on the road you will see that a lot of people do this, and IMO it makes the car look a lot better.

Congratulations!

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Very cool. You'll have to snap a couple pics with it all loaded up.

-Mike

16. The "E" isn't a hybrid (gas/electric motor), it's a straight 2.4L gasoline engine. It gets GOOD gas mileage, not GREAT (~24mpg, which is the same my fiancee's Pilot with a V6 gets).

I've got an '03, never touched the panels, they look just fine, like the day I bought it, so I haven't a CLUE what the guy Phil's referring to is going on about. Mine were never black, but a dark gray, and maintaining them has been a zero effort deal, treat 'em just like the rest of the exterior. The majority of the matching body panels you see on the road are newer versions which come with that already done.

I do agree that it isn't a "real" off-road vehicle, but it was never really intended for such use either. It's more of a really practical hauler that has fairly decent ground clearance. I think the 4wd version is more intended for better traction in bad weather, as it's not a full-time 4wd, but instead it runs with front wheel drive unless it has a wheel start to spin. You can take it off paved roads with good success, but if you're going to climb muddy hills, it's not the vehicle.

43, I think if you're looking for a daily driver/gear hauler, based on the time I've spent with the Xterra, you got the better vehicle.

17. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    My guitar player has one of those things... a dark blue one... and it's rather optioned out... He's able to load the PA, his amp (sometimes he brings two amps), two guitars, big effects pedal, and he still has room for some more stuff. I am impressed with this car's load capacity...

...for me, I'm still a V8, rear-wheel drive kinda guy... been seriously thinking about a Dodge Magnum; however, gas out here is now 3-bucks+ per gallon... the 2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe is beginning to look more appealing to me now...

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    They look like delivery trucks to me. The one with the paintef plastic panels look more like regular minivans.

19. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I give credit to anyone who can not only look at, but drive a Honda Element, with a straight face.

Ugliest car ever, even worse then the Aztec. The person who designed it must have been the bosses son. That's the only explaination. They should be banned because they are so funny looking they can be a distraction on the road. Laughing people will crash because of the element.

The important part is you like it though.

20. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Alright, 'Brains' (?)... you, being from Motor City, will be allowed a little biased slack from me... at least. I visit Japan on a regular basis for business reasons... 5 times a year on average. I say this because they have cars over there... South Korea, too... that are not exported to the good 'ol USA. Honda, through one of its subsidiary companies, makes a vehicle that looks very much like the Element, but on a slightly smaller scale... yet, over there in the Land of the Rising Sun, they call the vehicle... Naked... and, boys and girls, I am not making that up... it is true! :D