Bought a Jbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vintagefiend, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    I'm a P-bass/flats/pick/tube amp guy. Have been for years.

I've been having some wrist issues that affected me at a gig last Friday, where we played on a big stage outdoors in about 100% humidity. I don't want to take my '62 AVRI Pbass out to those gigs anymore.

Today, while picking up some guitar strings for a classical guitar I recently picked up, I spied this Squier VM Jbass. Thing looked brand new, but it was a preowned, so they had $250 on it. I impulsively asked if they could cut me a break on the taxes...I walked out the door with this thing for $248 flat.

It has rounds on it. I plugged it into the Acoustic solid state combo in my living room...and i love the way this thing feels. The neck is fast...I'm using my fingers instead of a pick, I'm toying with the idea of leaving the D'Addario rounds on it...

Tell me I'm not wrong for loving this thing.

2. Vintagefiend

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    20200710-132421.jpg

Tari, teh-slb, bhendrix and 12 others like this.
  3. nabilhuakbar

nabilhuakbar

Jan 13, 2020
    Utah
    Of course you're not wrong. Those Squier VMs are fantastic basses. And now you've got an expanded tonal pallette with a Jazz bass and Rounds and fingers. I'm in the same boat as you in that I prefer playing with a pick but knowing fingerstyle is a really big deal and I think every half-decent bassist should be able to do both regardless of what they prefer.

Just wait till you try Rounds on a P-bass. Flats get you that old school thump but that roundwound zing is really awesome for a lot of things.

red_rhino and Vintagefiend like this.
  4. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    We should all have one Jazz in our stable, there next to all those P-basses, whether we actually play it or not. ;)

Tari, lowdownthump, MYLOWFREQ and 2 others like this.
  5. Vintagefiend

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    Thanks, guys.

I feel like I'm cheating on my Pbass.

6. nabilhuakbar

nabilhuakbar

Jan 13, 2020
    Utah
    I've always thought of basses as polygamist;)

2tonic, Low Crow and Vintagefiend like this.
  7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Welcome to the other side! :cool:

Tari, lowdownthump and red_rhino like this.
  8. DoctorZee

DoctorZee Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2018
    New York / New Jersey
    Yeah, OP, you just unlocked the potential of the full Fender Four combinations. I usually keep flats on my P and rounds on my J, but switching that around gives some really great tones. Rounds make a P so much more articulate and punchy, and flats on a J create a warm, buttery, really musical sound.

9. nabilhuakbar

nabilhuakbar

Jan 13, 2020
    Utah
    Flats on a J make one of my favorite bass sounds and honestly I think they sound a lot better on a J than they do on a P

10. DoctorZee

DoctorZee Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2018
    New York / New Jersey
    I might have to agree. Always reminds me of John Paul Jones.

Tari and nabilhuakbar like this.
  11. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I own both P's and J's and I do not feel guilty for one over the others.... I'm sure that if you sit down with your P-Bass and have a truthful discussion with it, all will be good after this...

nabilhuakbar likes this.
  12. Whats not too love?

lowdownthump and red_rhino like this.
  13. Nice bass, and you got a smokin’ deal on it, watch out you might prefer it over the precision soon with the smaller neck profile and the expanded tonal options.

14. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    You'll get over it when you notice it doesn't do what your P does. Play it for a good while. Love it for a good while. Play out with it for a good while. Then...pick your P back up.

I'll buy it off you for $223 :)

15. red_rhino

red_rhino Artful Dodger Gold Supporting Member

Not wrong at all! :thumbsup: I self-identify as a Jazz bass guy; always loved them, always will. But I don't have a jazz these days. I do however have a P bass that I love.

It's important not to become a prisoner of the things we think we believe. Tastes change or broaden, tonal goals change. Why get locked into a narrow definition of "your sound"?

Absolutely! I put a set of light gauge GHS Pressurewounds on my P and they are amazing. Less zing than a steel round, great tension and balance. Mellow like a flat, but livelier with no thud. Very much the best of both worlds for me.

Now go rock that jazz bass! :bassist:

16. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I think You are absolutely right.

17. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    As long as you wash your hands in between, it's all good! :D

nabilhuakbar likes this.
  18. FishDub

FishDub Stuck in the 80s and happy about it Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    +1..I have 9050s on my J and they are staying on. Its THAT sound in my head. Sorry but TIs on the P, not rounds:)

19. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Don't let your P be a victim of a broken home…….057912

maxresdefault.jpg

A woman wanted to know how her husband would react if she left him.
    She wrote him a letter saying she is tired of him and didn't want to live with him anymore.
    She put it on the table in the bedroom and then climbed under the bed to hide until her husband got home.

When he eventually came back home, he saw the letter on the table and read it.
    After a few moments of silence, he picked up the pen and added something to the letter.
    Then he started to get changed, whistling happy tunes and singing and dancing while he did so.

He grabbed his phone and dialed a number.
    His wife listened from under the bed as he started chatting to someone.
    "Hey babe, I'm just changing clothes and then I will join you" he said.
    "As for the other fool, it finally dawned on her that I was fooling around on her and she left.

I was really wrong to have married her; I wish you and me had met earlier.
    See you soon, honey!" Then he hung up and walked out of the room.

Heartbroken she climbed out from under the bed
    and stumbled over to read what her unfaithful husband had written on the end of her letter.
    Through teary eyes, she read: "I could see your feet you pinhead, I am going out to buy bread".

nabilhuakbar likes this.
  20. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    P with flats, J with rounds seems to be conventional wisdom, but a J with flats is a great thing.

Jazz with flats, neck up all the way, bridge rolled back about 1/4, and tone rolled back about 1/4 - I don't think you will miss your P bass one bit.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021