1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bought a kit, help me choose a wipe on finish!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
  2. Minwax has a relatively new product called Express Color Wiping Stain & Finish. It's a one-step (color & topcoat) finish, and IIRC, it comes in green, red, black and blue, in addition to the standard wood (oak, mahogany, walnut) colors. They also have their PolyShades line, but I believe the only "color" they offer is black, the rest of them being regular wood tones.

FWIW, I use a lot of Minwax stuff on some of the lower end custom cabinets I build, and I think they have a very solid product. Their one-step/wipe on stuff is certainly easy to use and the results are generally good.

3. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I've used Danish Oil, which is a blend of Tung and Linseed oils. It is not the most durable finish, but if you just want to seal and fill the pore it's great. Multiple coats will give you a satin or semigloss finish that is fairly hard.

4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Go to the "Wishbass" thread, look up 49'sfine and check out his tutorial on using Birchwood Casey Gun Stock finish on his basses. I use it, it's almost impossible to screw up, and it REALLY brings out the character of the wood.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Fast drying wipe mon minwax is very good imo. The polyshades and new express color ghostdog93 mentioned are great choices imo. Use light coats and ultra fine sandpaper to lightly sand extra smooth after drying. When ive used polyshades Ive used 3 coats. Real light sand after 1st 2 coats then again after 3rd light coat.