Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a Lakland Skyline 55-02.... Unbelievable stuff! (small review included)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Nov 3, 2004.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    As you guys and gals already found out, I was looking for a nice bass. Jazz style, but modern sounding if it came along too. I got a very decent deal about trading my Warwick Streamer Bass fivestring for a Skyline 55-02 Sunburst body/rosewood neck...and I'm so hapy with it!!!

I happened to be rehearsing with the band last evening and I took the Lakland directly from the shop to the place. Fat bottom and so light to play... gorgeous fretwork (no flaws AT ALL!!!) and a great sound. Very smooth and yet powerfull. There's really a particular vibe in those MF-ers!!! Able of getting a dubbing sound as well as a fresh Miller vibe out of it. This wasn't to be expected by me actually (because the dude just gave me a terrible amp to try it on last week, so I came back yesterday) because of the bad experience I had the first time. What in heaven's name was I complaining about?

Now the B. Fat. Low. Very clear... piano clarity? I just can't stop telling anybody, who didn't try this bass yet... do it! Even the taxes in Europe can't compensate for the fact not buying it. (You Americans are so lucky!!!)

And the looks.. (wo)man... beautifully made sunburst with a rosewood neck. Very vintage looking too, those little yellowish dots!

Cheers... a very enthousiastic bassplayer!

(thanks for all your help during my topics anyway...)

[​IMG]

2. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    with maple freatboard would be nicer

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    De Teng -

Your bass is awesome man, i totally dig it; Its really really nice.

I'd love to try it, shame i live out on Monkee Island, if you're ever this side of the channel you better be bringing it over!

Your bass rocks my socks :)

4. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    u got me wrong the bass rocks but i like maple .
    what is the sound and is the neck like the music man s neck

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I like maple better as a general rule aswell :) :hyper:

6. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Thanks for the reply guys. I personaly love this colour scheme the most, but maple is great too. If I had more money, I woud buy a blue bass with a great maple neck with a vintage lacquer.

Anywya...below you'll find a link to listen how it sounds. Just some jammin' (with some Jaco stuff too) with the Lakland. The Neck is NOT like a Music Man, this one is thinner and thus faster.

Have fun, while listening!

Lakland 55-02 fivestring

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Sounds nice De Teng, how's it recorded?

8. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Congradulations on a great bass. And killer looks, too, rosewood or maple.

I heard a local guy playing the same model recently not long after hearing him do the same set on a Fender 5. From the floor I can tell you that that bass has the smoothest, most even tone from top to bottom. Very integrated sound up and down the scale. Great, smooth highs (actually the first thing I noticed) and a tight, deep bottom end.

You've got a real player there.

John

9. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Straight into the compu baby!

I must say that the passive output is quite low. I recorded it with active mode on, everything set flat. Just some little reverb on the recording. I'm very happy with it indeed.

10. Good call!! That's the EXACT 55-02 I would have chosen. I just played one and tested it compared to the 55-94 and for the money I'd take the 55-02...enjoy!

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    That's funny, I've been thinking of buying a 55-02 just like yours. (Except possibly the Deluxe model)

Glad to hear that you like it. Nice clip, too. :)

12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Nice Lakland - Plenty of clarity on the highs! While I prefer Maple too for the glass like clear highs, yoru clips sound great! Nice score! - gary

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Very nice! They sound great and are a joy to play.

Cheers

Riis

14. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Me too. Definitely with the rosewood, for me.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That sounds really good. I think the quality from the 55-01 to the 55-02 is a big step up. The 55-01 i played had a pretty crappy/floppy B string. Bass sounds sweet though.

16. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Really? I always assumed the 55-01's and 55-02's were pretty much the same except for the electronics (and the knobs ;)).

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its possible i just played a bad one...im sure it happens, and ive only played one 55-01 and that was it, but the B was very floppy and un defined.

18. Great score! That's a v-e-r-y classy bass.

19. jaxlaw

jaxlaw

Oct 5, 2002
    Winter Garden
    Great Bass great sound. I love my 55-02, and would recommend one to anybody - ended up selling my 4 stringers after I got one three weeks ago - been palying nothing since.

20. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The Skyline stuff is a really good value for the money. For comparable money, you'd be hard to find anything as good. Believe me, I've looked!