Bought a Mark Hoppus Signature bass today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by todostusmuertos, Nov 6, 2003.

1. todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Ok, I know he's not the best bassist out there but I gotta tell you, this baby sounds great.
    I got the blue one cause it really grew on me.
    I've been thinking about getting it for a while now but was not sure.
    Today I went to GC and bought it.
    It does not have a tone control but the tone is great as it is with the Bassline pups.
    If I ever decided to add a tone control to it, would that be possible? what would it take and how expensive would it be?
  2. if you have a power drill and a soldering iron, it would cost you less than $10 to add a tone knob. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the bass?
  3. todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    $384.00 @ GC
    which I thought was a great deal, the have it for a lot more at different stores.
    Is that something easy to do? I mean, could someone that's never done it do it?
  4. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    I thought that it played well when I played it. I liked the p-neck and the 1/4lb pups. But only having a volume knob is stupid...(that is the volume knob right?) It was also really overpriced when I first saw it because of the name.

Congrats on the purchase and have fun!
  5. well, i've never done it, but I don't think ti would be hard to do.
  6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    itd be really easy to do cuz your not doing anything out of the ordinary. You can find wiring diagrams online. If you wired in a tone pot itd be the exact same setup as a P bass.
  7. todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I've been looking for some manuals on how to do that but have not found anything.
    It looks easy cause there's not much there to do but I would not know where to connect to wires from the tone knob.
  8. I played one and liked it....congrats on the new bass:)
  9. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    i always thought it would be a cool idea to either cut the gaurd or get one of the warmoth gaurds made for a p pu on a jazz and the 3 hole vintage jazz control plate for volume, tone, and input.

that would be the first thing i'd do if i got a hoppus.

Jason Smith
  10. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    *has the hoppus*

*hates the hoppus*

it's just not my kind of bass. i wish i would of figured this out before i bought it.
  11. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Mod it! Mod it like it is your mother! Change the bridge. Get a traditional jazz pickguard. And drop in the ultimate tone machine for this situation...a J-retro! Oh man, I'm salivating over the thought.

12. todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL

Man, that's a great idea.
    is there a good site where I can get a lot these parts?
  13. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Oh yes, your thinking straight now my friend. I'd reccomend a Leo Quan Bad*** II Bridge if your gonna be playing rock with say a pick (which is suggested by you buying the bass). The Leo Quan bridge and J-retro preamp can be found at Can get alittle pricey, but worth it. WD is the best place for the pickguard. E-mail customer service and Larry Davis will hook you up with a price you'll like. I would never think about doing pickguard business with anyone else but WD.
  14. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Instead of adding a tone knob, why not just use something like a sansamp di stomp box or an eq pedal. That's got all the tone shaping you need and this way you don't have to worry about adjusting your bass and your eq
  15. todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL

thanks a lot for all the info and replies.
  16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  17. todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Another question for you, if I add the J-Retro preamp, my understanding is that the bass will be active. Now, since this is an active preamp I'm adding, will that be ok even thought the pickups are passive pickups?
    sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm just curious about that.
    which by the way, those preamps are pretty expensive. damn.
    but considering I didn't pay that much for the bass I'd say it would be worth it.
  18. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    J-retros are made specifically for J's, 2 Jazz pickups. Unless you want to add a Jazz or something, I'm not sure if a J-retro would work in that situation. Maybe something like a P-retro would be good. I do like the idea of putting a jazz pg and plate on there though.
  19. todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    hey that's right. This bass has P-pickups, so I guess I'd have to get P-retros or would those work for the P-pickups?
    do hey make those?
    I've not seen them.
  20. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You could always just add a stacked tone/volume knob. That way you wouldn't have to drill or buy a new pickguard/control guard. If you wanted active...get the J retro stompbox or the Sadowsky stompbox. Just suggestions so that you won't have to drill or drastically alter the bass.