Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a new amp yesterday

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by James Hart, Feb 2, 2002.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey all, Just a quick Hello and background check first: I started playing in 1980 while in grade school. worked my way thru metal, new wave, funk-punk and jazz. Ended my professional playing 5 years ago when I sold my 2 Bag End cabs and "AMP" head to another bassist and sold my Carvin LB75 to a local music store for $$$ to go back to school. About 2 years ago I got the itch and bought a really nice playing Hamer 5 string and an old Yamaha amp from the 70's (100watt 1x15").

Anyway, the amp was sooo bad I never really got back to playing... and it got put out to the curb this past fall for bulk pickup.

Now on to yesterday, I've been talking with some people I knew in High School and been really itching to play (I've got an acoustic geetar at my side always.... but it's NOT a bass). I pulled the Hamer (BTW it's defretted & epoxied) out of the closet, cleaned it up, ran to the local music store and played thru every sub $200 amp and came home with a Peavey MicroBass & a new set of strings.

Yea I know it's not a SWR or Eden or whatever... but it sounds good to my ear for low level practicing and it felt SOOOOO good to groove last night. Though my fingers do feel like I tried to push the bones out thru the tips :eek:

2. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    actually the peavey microbass is an awesome amp...if i was gonna get a little amp, that be the one, no ifs ands or buts abouit it...good choice bro :)

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    thanks... It does growl nicely :D

Like I said... I took "MY" bass down to the local shop and spent a good hour playing thru every amp that was under $200. (Also played a couple MIM Jazz basses... my next purchase) This little thing kicked all the others a$$'s

I've always hated Peavey... My first Concert was played thru a 2x 15" with a head that needed to be up-side-down to turn on (my HS owned it) and since then if someone says "Peavey" I think "POS my school owned"... but I just closed my eyes and opened my ears. I came home with the winner.