Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a new bass, should I get better strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by alexs0628, Feb 8, 2005.

1. alexs0628

alexs0628

Feb 8, 2005
    I'm new to playing the bass. I bought a Carlo Robelli USB890 from Sam Ash. I imagine that a low end bass does not come with the best strings. Should I get better strings right away? Will changing to better strings have a positive affect on the tone and playability? Or will it not matter on this guitar?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If it sounds good as is, leave the strings on until they die. If they sound dead already or uneven or whatever, and you don't like them, get new ones.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Changing strings will always change the tone, irregardless of the bass's price tag. If you like the tone, keep them a while. If you want to change the tone, new strings is the cheapest way.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I think you should experiment with different sets of strings until you find the ones that work best for you. If you are contemplating changing them, chances are, you're not happy with the ones you have now. You will know right away what the best strings for you are and you will also know what to avoid when it's time to change them again. Good luck and welcome to the world of bass.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Heh, changing strings changes the tone, I can definately agree with that...but like for example where I've heard that the stock strings on SX basses are horrid i've kept mine because I like the sound.

I've got a set of DR High Beams on my Ibanez that don't sound right on there which may fit more in with the Jazz tho...

So in short...if you like it stick with it, if not then just experiment

6. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I just started playing again from a 20 yr hiatus and the first thing I started doing was changing strings on my Carvin LB75. I had a set of D'addario chrome flats that just were not right and went back to experimenting with round wounds. I just bought a cheap fretless...Rogue LX200BF. Did not sound or play that great out of the box. I put on 4 of the 5 strings from that D'addario set and it was like getting a new instrument. I spent an hour rereading the Gary Willis setup article and went over this Rogue and now it plays and sounds great. I look forward to using this bass for experimenting and relearning the tricks of making a bass sound great. Don't be afraid to experiment with you bass, this is part of the fun of playing.

(Oh,no I'm getting Gas again......need to go to Ebay)