Bought a new G5!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by arvidgunardi, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Just got myself a brand spankin new G5!! My VAIO laptop was stolen a few months ago when I was on a train ride, and decided to get a G5 power mac instead for replacement, It'll be for working with protools Digirack.

Anyone knows if I can upgrade my OS 10.2.7 to 10.3 without having to pay??

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You spent the money on a g5 and are gripping about the O$ upgrade?!!?!?

Anyway, congrats on the machine. :)
  3. Oh no, the reason is the protools I'm getting requires that OS, and the G5 I got are sorta the pre-release batch that are issued with the earlier version of the OS.;)
  4. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It is pretty cheap of Apple to charge for fractional OS upgrades, eh...?

And yeah, congrats on the new machine!

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm fairly sure you can get Panther for $20 bucks, but since panther is out now, I could be wrong. I know they had a deal where powerbooks(and I think g5s) purchased before panther would get a certificate for $20 panther.

I could be wrong though.

:ninja:Unlike everyone's favorite OS, Mac OS X is incredibly easy to share with friends :ninja:
  6. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I was wondering the same thing. I just got my new G5 here at work right before Panther came out. I think I should get a free/cheap upgrade. Oh well, we shall see..

Has anyone noticed that the G5 isnt as blazingly fast as predicted?

I'm on the 1.6Ghz machine and its pretty quick. Is the 1.8Ghz faster?
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The real powerhouse is the 2.0 one.

however, a big reason why the g5s aren't as blazingly fast is because of not having panther.

also, many apps are not 64 bit aware, and don't take advantage of the extra memory and memory handling features of the g5.
  8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    That is hip that you siwtch from the Vaio to the G5!! Were you used to the OS, or was there a bit of a learning curve to deal with?

I love my G3 iBook, but I'm going to get the next wave of G5 laptops that come out... That'll give me time to save for it.

When I picked up my G3 iBook, it came with a partitioned hard-drive, with 9.2 on one side and the Beta OSX on the other.. Still haven't made the swich, but I will fully once I switch to another mac.
  9. Yeah man, I picked it up, loaded up the DVD that came with it and install. After that it was a blur...I wasn't really sure what happened:D

Actually when the OS was up and running, then the confusion starts. The last time i used a mac was in school 3 years ago; I dun know nothin!!

I got a coupon that came with the G5, how can i use it? can i use it to a panther upgrade?
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    what does the coupon say?:p
  11. "Important Apple software proof-of-purchase coupons. Software coupon Mac OS X v10.2"

There are 3 coupons and behind each one of them theres space for you to fill in your names etc.
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    sounds like a coupon for panther to me...that is panther for $20
  13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    It's not really a fractional upgrade. Apple just redid their naming scheme for their OS's. The jump from 10.2 to 10.3 is equivalent to the jump from say system 8 to system 9.
  14. I've just asked digidesign if protools will run on G5 with OS 10.2.7, they said yes, but someone here mentioned that G5's speed are only truely felt if its running on panther. Is that true?
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That's what everyone is saying, I'm a fairly avid mac-enthusiast, and other forums I read that is the general consensus, that panther will increase overall computing speed for the g5s quite significantly.

but I have also heard one report, of it only increasing speeds very marginally at best.

however, that is one thing, the other thing that will make applications really shine with the g5 is having them optimized to work with the g5s architecture; the memory handling, the 64bit processing, the vector processing, internal bandwidth, all of that.

I haven't yet heard any news on a g5 patch for protools but I'm sure it will come around sooner or later.