bought a new wire stripper, works great!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by joeyl, Feb 15, 2009.

1. went to the big box store yesterday to get a wire stripper, I was tired of the regular ones where you need to find the wire size on the tool in order to strip it. So I got this:

vise-gripwirestripper.jpg

and here is how it works

vise-gripwirestripperaction.jpg

no need to hold the wire, no jerking movement to get the wire stripped, and of course, no need to look for the wire gauge, just place it between the jaws and squeeze the handle. The little yellow plastic stop ensures that all the wires are stripped the same length. It makes wiring a breeze!!! Only drawback is that the left jaw will leave a mark on the wire covering where it gripped it, but I use heatshrink tube and that is covered nicely. It will also do thin wires like 24 awg, and there is a knob to decrease the pressure if needs be, but I did not have to touch it

"Not affiliated with vise-grip, don't work for them or own any stakes in them etc, just wanted to share a cool tool"

2. lowdownwalt

lowdownwalt

Mar 23, 2008
    BC Canada
    Handy tool foresure!

Nice close-up pic. too! ;)

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    hmm, how much was that?

4. 21 bucks with tax

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    not bad at all!

6. LowGo

LowGo

Jan 25, 2008
    Which store?

7. Found it at Lowe's

8. LowGo

LowGo

Jan 25, 2008
    How appropriate, seeing as how you're using it to work on your bass!

9. yep, came in handy, and I will use it again this week when I swap out the Audere for an Aggie OBP-1

10. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Looks like it has no cutter for the jacket and that it just pulls the plastic covering off; is this correct?

Seems like this might be a bit rough on thin stranded material with say a Teflon jacket

11. Glad to hear you're happy with your stripper. $21 is pretty cheap.

:ninja:

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Yes. The teflon just oozes. For thin gage stuff my favorite is an Ideal Stripmaster, of which I have an ancient model, or T-Stripper.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide11-24.html
    http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide11-03.html

Both of these cut into the insulation, almost down to the wire, so they handle teflon much easier.

But IMHO teflon is not necessary or desirable in audio electronics, as it is much harder to work with and has no benefit. Just IMHO. I know there are various schools of thought on wire.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021