Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a new wrist watch

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joris, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Look at my cool new watch! The ultimate geek toy! A Timex Ironman Data Link USB!

It's a programmable watch with a USB data/program upload link cable. Large matrix display, scroll wheel, lots of timers, event alarms, text reader, email syncing, etc.etc.

And the best part of all, I got it off of Ebay (new) for $65, while shops here in the Netherlands carry it for around 100 Euros, which is $120.

2. Congrats! It looks like a considerably pimp wristwatch.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    All the ladies are gonna say, "Oooh... is that a USB watch you have there?"

Then, with a coy wink, you reply, "Not only USB- USB 2.0, sweet thangs."

4. :D Hmm, you attract women with your watch? :p

I looks like a normal sports watch, not the wrist-pda type of thing. I asked owners how large it is. It's slightly bigger than my current cheapo fish-eye style watch.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How much space in the flash drive? Or is the USB port for something else?

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Nerd!!!!;)

I like it, and echo Brendan's question. They had a USB watch on thinkgeek but it had a huge cable coming out of it. Yours looks totally normal with hidden extra features, which is the best way to have extra features.

7. I'm definitely a wrist watch nerd! A clock nerd if you will. I have a clock tic (haha).

But no, it's not a flash storage watch, in fact, it only has 32 kB free. But it runs the applications stored in those 32 kB. So one could download available applications, delete unused ones, or one could write his own. A 100-linked-timers application, or a special time display, or whatever you can think of. I will mainly use it to store login names and passwords, as well as my own customized time display with week numbers.

For storage, I find a USB stick much more useful. I have a 32MB stick. You can leave it connected, work off it (sp?) and at the end of the day take it home.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I want one of these:

[​IMG]

Each hand and number has a tiny vile of tritium. Tritium glows brightly 24/7 without requiring any external charge. My crappy Guess watch glows for a bit after charging it with a light and then wears off. I've heard these watches last for a long time too...

brad cook

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I want one of these:

[​IMG]

Each hand and number has a tiny vile of tritium. Tritium glows brightly 24/7 without requiring any external charge. My crappy Guess watch glows for a bit after charging it with a light and then wears off. I've heard these watches last for a long time too...

Here's what it looks like in pitch dark:
    [​IMG]

brad cook

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    [​IMG]
    This is my watch, engraved with my initials, ZAR.

11. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I've had the same Timex IronMan watch for about 12 years now. Only changed the battery a couple times so far. If it ain't broke why fix (replace) it? :cool:

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Clip-on for me. It's got a 24-hour hand and uhh...a thermometer

So I can tell how hot my pants are ? :rolleyes: :p

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Just when I think you can't surprise us any more....

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't wear watches, because when I do, time moves too slow, since I check it more often than (duh) when I'm not wearing one.

So time speeds up without a watch. A pocketwatch would be pretty nifty, though.

15. Nice watch you got there Joris..
    I am really hard on watches. I have box full of half broken and mangled waches. No matter how much I spend on one they only last me a year or so. Now I just buy el cheapo watches from Wal-Mart. The one I am wearing right now I paid 5.49 for it and have had it for almost 8 months. I never take it off and and I am in the ocean 4 days a week.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OK, I heard you explain it, but I'm behind the times. Why the hell does you watch have a USB port?

17. i believe this is one of those with a flash drive (aka jumpdrive) in it. useful for transferring files quickly and easily between pcs via usb.

18. :D :D

19. And I should add, you can also retrieve 200 stopwatch lap times and any other info you input into the watch or its applications.

Timex site

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Why would you want to retrieve 200 stopwatch lap times? Why would you want to retrieve 2?

*head explodes*