1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bought a pre-wired Jazz harness

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GtenderG, Oct 7, 2013.

1. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    Hello all,

I bought a prewired harness on the bay and it contains som caps I've not encountered before. Take a look at this pic..Why are there little caps between the the 2 posts on the 2 volume pots? The middle post is where I would attach the white wires. (the black going on the top of the pot...) Not sure what to do here...

Any help would be appreciated :)

Attached Files:

2. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    Figured it out... White wire goes where it always goes...

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Those capacitors and resistors form a treble bypass circuit.

Normally, on a Jazz bass, your pickups' tone is affected by the volume control as well as the tone control. If you turned only the bridge pickup up and then slowly brought it down, not only would the bass be quieter, but it'd also lose a lot of its high end and become duller.

The resistor and capacitor across the input-output lugs make sure the highs do not get affected by the current volume turn - instead, the sound remains crisp even if it's quieter.

4. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    Thanks for the info!

5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011

What value of resistor and capacitor would be used to do this?

6. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Last time I wired in a treble bypass, I only used a small capacitor, a 300 pF ceramic disc, to be exact. According to Seymour Duncan schematics, a 2 nF (=2000 pF) capacitor in parallel with a 100k resistor can also be used. If you pick somewhere along those values you can't go wrong.