Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a sansamp rbi preamp :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Mr. UPS man delivered me my new sansamp rbi preamp yesterday and after using it a short while, I highly recommend it :) I'm using it with a qsc rmx1450 poweramp and the tone is HUGE. Drives the poweramp much better than the sansamp pedal and has some wonderful studio and eq options. With the added mid control and for $299 new, you can't beat it :) Who else uses the rbi/poweramp setup currently? How's it hold it up in a band situation?

2. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i'm actually thinking about selling my svp to get an rbi. i'll know after saturday probably. what's your other gear that you're using it with (ie: bass/cabs). i also use a qsc that i'm thinking about upgrading to the 1450. do you run it bridged? sorry about all the questions. let me know. thanks.

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Right now i'm running my hotrodded USA jazz through it and it's going into an ampeg bse410hlf cab (bridged). My bass has emg pickups w/ a bartolini preamp and combined with the rbi it sounds excellent :) I owned an svp preamp in the past and although it was nice, I like the RBI better. Less noise and a better tone to my ears.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been using an RBI into a Carvin power amp for a little over a year now, and am very happy with it. I am considering replacing it with a Tech21 Landmark 600 head to simplify my life, because the LM 600 is basically a two-channel RBI in a head.

5. I am thinking about getting an RBI instead of an expensive Aggie, Demeter, whatever. Does it have all the presets like the PSA-1? I dont know anything about the Landmark 600...I am going to check now.

You think the RBI will be good enough for the studio?

6. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The RBI has no presets. It has knobs for the controls.

I've found it very easy to get great tone. I just set all the knobs in the center and the tone is sweet. The RBI will work well in the studio.

It is the best sounding SS preamp I've tried but still does not sound as good as a Demeter tube preamp IMO.

Chuck

7. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I just pick one of these p this week, and I have to say that to me it sounds perfect for what I am doing. I am running it through a qsc power amp and an Aguilar GS112 I will hopefully add a second Aguilar in the near future.

8. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so how do the rbi's sound live. i mean without the help of going to a pa? just the rbi->power amp->cabinet. at high volumes too.

9. JefWes

JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    I have a RBI I run into the AUX input on my Eden WT400 into an Eden 410xlt and the sound is HUGE. I could never get the sound I have now out of the Eden preamp alone. The amp is much louder now without activating the clip light on WT400.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have an SVP-PRO & pair it with an SVP-1500 & I love it. But I've heard so many good things about the RBI that I might have to look for one on eBay & see if can score one cheap so if I don't like it, I can re-sell itfor about the same $$$. :)

11. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    yeah...so i a/b'ed my bddi against my svp at practice yesterday. our drummer wasn't there, so i couldn't see how it was with him, and i was using a 1x18 cab, instead of the 8x10 that i normally use. but...this was with a guitarist with a dual rec, and the other with a marshall plexi. well...the svp had more in the way of mids (i guess), but the tone didn't seem as full as the bddi. our one guitarist said (about the bddi), "it sounds more bad ass than the ampeg). i tried some of the recommended settings for the svp. first the rock setting (because we play rock). i didn't like it so much. too dirty. then i tried the jazz setting, and liked it much more. but it still didn't have the huge bottom that the bddi had. now...the bddi won't drive my power amp to its max power, but the rbi will (right?). after all this, do you think i'd be better off getting an rbi instead of my svp? also...will the mid control help for cutting through a wall of guitars and a loud drummer? let me know. i love hearing everyones' opinions here. thanks.

12. I love my RBI to death. Everytime I hear a soundboard recording I melt. Every sound guy that has plugged into my DI has given me compliments. I've stopped three guys from plugging me into a direct box, and they've all loved my RBI. One of them was thrilled it had a level control on the front.

I'm using the RBI with a Yamaha CP2000 and 2 Eden 2x10-XST cabinets. Just a stellar combination.

You can hear it on the first three songs of my bands new recordings here:

Tried For Fine

FishBulb

13. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Does the rbi have an input pad for actives? my G&L is so hot there is no clean tone from my BDDI.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've heard that the LM600 is a pile of absolute ass. Dealers send them back, and it's just not pretty. I've heard this 3 or 4 times, and they each say that Tech 21 makes an amazing line of products, but ther is just something wrong with the landmark 600.

15. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, there's a 0db and a -20b option pad on the back of the rbi..

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I was hearing that, too - then I noticed the razzing was mostly coming from one guy. I've talked to two people that have them, and they love 'em!