1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bought a Squier Vintage Jaguar Modified today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pappabass, Mar 2, 2016.

1. I was at one of our local pawn shops, (yeah, a pawn shop! I have bought 5 guitars at very good prices at pawn shops!) They had a really nice Squier vintage Jag modified that I had to bring home. Pretty cool guitar. This one is made in Indonesia, active pickups, nice straight neck, nice finish, & of course my favorite color,,,black on black ! Love the classic timeless look. I have owned a Fender Mex precision & Mex jazz, this jag feels as good as they did. Including fit & finish. I said I would never own a Squier, but this one made me think different. It will be a little adjustment from my 5 string that I currently play. By the way, it does say Fender on the head!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  2. Pete Bretzke

Pete Bretzke

Jul 10, 2014
    Congrats! I picked up a B-stock sunburst VM 5 string version a few weeks ago for super cheap and absolutely love it. Plays much better than I could have imagined. It's heavier than hell, but the neck is really comfortable and doesn't dive much. The active bass boost is sort of cheesy and it sounds like hell with it rolled off, but when it's on, it's way loud.

This is my first 5 string bass so I expect to keep it around until my playing warrants an upgrade. Until then, I might upgrade the pups and/or pre-amp, but it's more playable than some of the 'real' Fenders I've owned including a US PBass I couldn't live without.

Funny, I have two Squires (this Jag and a Vista series Musicmaster) and each of them play as good or better than my MIJ Jazz and Tele basses. Goes to show you that just because it was made in Indonesia or China doesn't mean it's junk!

pappabass likes this.
  3. DOMIT

DOMIT

Feb 16, 2016
    Educate me... a Squier that says Fender? Or a cheap Fender? (I've been out of the market for... oh... 15+ years. Things have changed.) Did someone just put a Fender decal on a Squier, or is it an actual Fender? Or do you mean something else altogether?

4. Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  5. Y
    Yep, its a Squier, it says "Squier by Fender" Fender's lower cost version of their guitars. I believe the older ones like this one had a little more QC from Fender. I am not sure. Maybe some of the other guys can chime in on this one. All I know it is made as good as my Fender Jazz and Precision I owned. Sounds better than the Precision, probably the jazz also. $150 for a classic looking jaguar, black on black, good sounding, active pickups, tight-no static controls, straight neck, no dings, minimal light scratches bass guitar with a re-sellable name & style is not bad !

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    wintremute likes this.
  6. Thanks, it is a pretty cool guitar. I currently have a ESP/LTD 5 string with EMG P/U's. Very nice bass with a nice big sound. I started on 4 strings, play a 5 for the past 15 years. I wanted a inexpensive 4 to play some open mic & real small venues. We have quite of few of these where I live. I looked around refusing a Squier. Then I saw this one. I guess it is the timeless-classic look that hooked me,,,plus its black with a black pickguard ! Back in Black !

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  7. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I set up a newer Squier ss Jag for my niece and once doing so (including new strings) - it played/sounded as nice as any Fender Fender. I think Squier has made decent instruments for a while which gives new players a real bass for not a lot of cash.

pappabass likes this.
  8. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Squiers are good instruments. I have owned three and was impressed with them all. I love the Jaguar body shape! The neck on my VM Jag was amazing. The bonus was that there were no noticeable dead spots. :cool:

pappabass likes this.
  9. gives new players a real bass for not a lot of cash.
    yeah, & old dudes like me who sold their Fender 4's for my current 5 string & wanted another 4 to play around with !

JIO likes this.
  10. Yeah, so far I have been impressed too, I like the active P/U's. I plugged it into my SWR amp & was impressed with the sound. Like I said earlier, sounds better than my Fender Precision ever did. Also it seems to have a better finish than the newest Squiers

11. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Squier NOW is better than it has ever been. That Jag isn't too old and the Vintage Modified line, along with the Classic Vibes, are what have started changing the minds of Squier naysayers.

And for what it's worth, the pickups are passive and the electronic contain an active bass boost only, just to contrast to a fully active preamp.

nico485 likes this.
  12. nico485

nico485

Sep 10, 2010
    Arkansas, USA
    Yup! Owned a CV 60s jazz and it was amazing quality. Ended up selling it a while back. But just getting back into playing recently and bought an Affiniy PJ! Didn't expect much, but I was shocked at how well it plays.

13. thanks for compliment, hey, it sounds better than my Fender Precision ever did ! I 'like' the way it sounds better than my jazz bass. Like I said earlier, fit & finish is good as my precision & jazz I owned.