Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bought a T-40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve2, Jun 3, 2002.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I just bought a 79 Peavey T-40 off of E-bay. I paid top dollar for it. $301. Probably not worth near that much but it looked like it is in near mint condition. It will be a good back up to my J Bass. Also since my Uncle has one that he bought new and I remember playing his some in the early 80's it will be kind of sentamental. I pass up one for $140 locally about 2 years but it was in rough shape. I know some of you may think I am crazy for paying that much for a T-40. You are probably right.

Steve2

2. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    Steve:

Value is in the eye of the buyer. As long as you didn't buy it as an investment and you like the bass - that's all that matters! There's a lot to be said about sentimentality with musical instruments! Why do you think so many of us name our basses!

Personally, I wouldn't have paid a penny over $300! (just kidding!)

Enjoy your new toy!

3. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Thanks Bass Only

I have heard were some people bought for around $100 before but the average is probably in the $200 range. This will make me 3 basses. I will be selling my Yamaha RB 250 (aka black beauty). My main bass will be my MIM Jazz (aka Jazzy)with us custom pickups, brownsunburst and tortise shell pickguard. I will probably name the T-40 after my Uncle since if it was not for him I would not have bought it. I wonder what kind of strings would be good. Probably some flats. I have flats on the j bass which I really like but I may opt to go with something different if I put flats on the T-40. So many options.

steve

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If the bass is in near mint condition, that is a decent enough price.

I watch T-40's all the time, but lose interest when they hit $200. Almost all of the ones that sell for under $250 are pretty beat up. One will occasionally go for under $200, but in the past few months that hasn't happened maybe once or twice.

I think that the bass is starting to be desirable by people who had one back in the late 70's or early 80's, like me. The instrument has a ton of tones, most of them very good.

One certain member here scored one in a pawn shop for $90:eek:! I wish that I could find one for that price!

5. good deal man. I love mine..and I also have no problems loaning it out. It's just used enough that I don't mind.

6. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Although I didn;t really have much choice at the time, I do really regret ever getting rid of mine. It was an awesome instrument as far as sound goes. Neck wasn't the most comfortable with my small fingers, but as a second bass or "back-up" guitar, well I really miss it at times. Very easy to dial in almost any sound you want. Felt it was really ahead of it's time for when they came out in late 70's. Just took me 20 years to realize it! Enjoy!

7. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    hey whats up. i had spme questions about the T40. my grandpa recently passed away and my grandma sold me his T40 since she needed the money. just for those who are curious it was $75. i think its a nice bass but i have no idea what year or anything it is. i see people talking about it but can anyone give me solid info on it or refer me to someone. i looked at peavey.com and it doesnt have anything. i am just curious as to how good or quality it is and that sort of thing. and also the truss rod needs a little adjusting and neither me nor my grandpa could ever find the right wrench, any help? we alrready tried guitar shops and peavey. thanks in advance!

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    A couple of years ago I payed $10.00 for a Peavey T-20.and the guy originaly wanted $15 dollars for it.I had just got back in town from the road and he was just walking down the street with it and I asked him if he was a Bass Player he said no but the Bass was for sell.and its in pretty descent condition.

9. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, at one of my local used guitar dealers, they have a T-40 for $140 usd, and it is in really good shape. the only thing that is wrong with it is it has a little bit of rust on the screws. I dont think that i am going to buy it, but i thought the price is worth exclaiming. by the way, i live in salem oregon, if your wondering...

=w=slicks=w=

10. I later found a Peavey hardcase for $10.00. :D

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So you got the whole setup for $100.:D

12. Yup! :cool: