Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a used warwick. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dako6680, Dec 14, 2003.

1. dako6680

dako6680

Dec 14, 2003
    Hi. I am new to this forum but I thought it would be good to ask some bass veterans on some questions. I just bought a used warwick vette standard for 650. It has no scratches or knicks and looks brand new. The only thing is, by the pickups there is a little bit of yellow discoloration made by the thumb. I was wondering, how can I get rid of this without messing it up? Do you guys recommend anything in particular? Also, I bought this warwick because I think they feel nice and someone told me they were good. What is your opinion on warwicks. I am just wondering what the general reputation of warwicks were in the bassist community.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Sorry, inappropriate.

Ox's Response: :mad: :spit:

3. dako6680

dako6680

Dec 14, 2003
    Ahh. Phallic joke. I guess that makes sense. I was wondering more on the lines of how well it plays and tone stuff like that but thats cool. You have your opinions. I personally like the looks of warwicks, other than the streamers. I think the Fender Jass Bass and P bass bodies are hackneyed and played out so I wanted to get something a little out there without getting a 2500 parker. But thanks for that anyways.

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i think warwicks are really nice. especially the thumb (nt and bolt-on), streamers, and the corvettes. a lot of people have them, and love them, do a search ;). the corvette standard is a nice bass :).

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    These kids, I tell ya.....

Warwicks are pretty danged cool. They have a built-in growl like few other basses. I'm not totally familiar with your Corvette bass, but there is a special kit you can buy from Warwick that has a wax that they recommend you use on the body of Thumb basses. It cleans and polishes the wood.

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah, that's for all basses though, right? they tell you to do it regularly 1-2 times a week, but i hear that 1-2 times every month will be fine. they just want you to buy more wax! :D

7. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I owned a Vette once. I miss it now, and may get another one if I can't find a cirrus beforehand.

There's not much point in trying to remove the discoloration. That happen naturally with pretty much all wooden basses. Aside from those floating thumbers :)

8. Warwicks are awesome basses.

In my opinion, warwick corvette fretless basses are pretty top-of-the line as far as fretless's go.

The thumb BO is the model for me though. It has awesome thump, great low end and clear highs... it never sounds muddy.

Just my opinion. Warwicks = great. :)

9. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    My 1999 LX was in a rite mess when i bought it, sweat, beer and blood stains on it, got it for a very nice price coz of the condition. all i did was sand down the body and rewax it, looks brand new. thats the best thing about natural finish warwicks, if there is a slight ding or scratch, just sand it out and wax it.

10. dako6680

dako6680

Dec 14, 2003
    what kind of sandpaper should i use?

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    if you look down in the specs it says the neck is maple...:rolleyes:

steve