Bought A Used Washburn, Comments?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mickeyw3340, Oct 24, 2002.

1. If you have seen my threads about choir gigging, you know I am back into the bass after many years away. Someone asked what I wound up buying. It's a used Washburn. The dealer said it would retail for 500 to 600. Got it for 150.00 . I like the way it feels, frets are not as wide as the Fender Precision, which I played for many years. More comfortable for my older hands. It has Fender style tuning keys, 4 in line on one side. I am curious about your comments on the quality of their instruments. It has three pickups. One three way toggle switch. First down position is very bright and I think it is using only the pickup by the bridge. Middle position is not quiet as bright, and is using the same pickup, plus the second pickup, and the third position, is more rounded sound, and fuller, using the pickup next to the fretboard. It's uglier than I wanted but couldnt afford the sunburst Fender I had my eye on. It has a solid black body, shines up real pretty. Surprisingly, The Bass Master 65 Watt amp I got, fills up the auditorium well, with the entire choir singing, however the pews were empty. Even at the volume settings I was using, there is still plenty more to crank it up to if need be. I will value your opinions of my gear, especially the guitar brand. I have seen Washburns mentioned in these different forums the last few days. The only thing I don't like is that it seems that when tuning, it takes about a quarter of a turn on the E string before the pitch begins to change. Is this a big issue, and is their any kind of maintenance I can do to the tuning keys to correct this. All strings seem to hold their tuning good. Probably would help to put new strings on wouldn't it.
  2. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    So, ya got any pictures of the Bass??
  3. Don't have a digital camera, plus no web site where I could post them with a URL anyway. I am a computer systems manager in my work, so I stay away from computers or anything related to them as much as I can in my off hours. ;)
  4. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    What model is it? If all the other tuners react quickly when turning then you may need to change that tuner. Also, does the tuner seem to go out of Tune with out you touching it?

The main thing I would look at before purchasing Tuners is :
    1)Will the New tuners help at all with the Tuning of the Bass(soundwise)?
    2)Do the tuners adjust Quickly enough between songs if you are de-tuned at all?
  5. It is an MB-4 Mercury Series. It has Active electroinics. Nope seems to hold tune good.
  6. Sounds to me like the string is binding in the nut. Check the slots. Also, rub a pencil point sideways in the slot. It makes a nice 'dry' lubricant.
    Good luck.