Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bought a Warwick, suggestions please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 8_finger, Sep 20, 2002.

1. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Well yesterday I bought a Warwick Fortress One made in '94. It has wenge neck, maple body, 2 x EMG LJ pups, MEC electronics (volume, blend, bass, treble). It is in very dark finish so the maple body has same color as wenge but I think that wasn't it's original color.

Only thing that is wrong is g-string tuning machine doesn't work properly so I will replace it promptly. Should I replace it with warwick tuning machine, Schaller or some other. I'm would appreciate any suggestion.

Also regarding pups as I play jazz now I would like more vintage sound so I was thinking maybe Seymoure Duncan SJB5 67/70 od EMG JV series or Bart 59 series. Anyone tried these pups. What do they sound like. Help!

MEC electronics I will probably change to something with mid range control like Bart HR 4.6AP or EMG BQC System or something else. Again any suggestions are welcome.

Wow this was a long post.

2. 8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh and I paid it 500€

3. Damn that was cheap. How come it didn't cost you more. There isn't any other little scratch or default. Send me a message if you see any other cheap Warwicks preferably old. Oh, and I would stick with new warwick tuners.

4. Yeh, send me a message if you see another one like that aswell, the cheapest i've seen is $1,199!!

5. 8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh it has scratches and quite lot of them but for a bass that is 8 yrs old and has seen lot of use - previous two owners are working musicians - it's not that bad. Bass sounds great and scratches are no bother. Anyway I'll go to local luthier to put different finish on the body.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    warwick sells their parts thru their dealer network. so just go to your nearest warwick dealer and say "hey, i want to buy a tuner." and they'll hook you up.

no big deal.

enjoy the new bass! i just got a new warwick two days ago (a 6 string fretless thumb BO :D ) to add to my ss2 5 string. they're nice, aren't they ;)

7. I was going to say sell it, but then I read the post and realized you got an old one before they went factory. In that case I would agree with you on changing the electronics I have a Bart NTCT-H that sounds great! With the tuner, I would say it doesn't matter as long as all4 are the same kind. So go with the Warwick for money's sake.

8. 8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    oh silly me I forgot it's 5 stringer.