1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bought an Ampeg B18N, help me date it

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by micahturner, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Just picked up a B18N head lastnight and I'm trying to date it. The serial number is 039283.

The head sounds amazing. The 7027A tubes are Sylvania. The 6SL7 tubes have an Ampeg stamp at the base of the tube. The 5AR4 just says it was made in Britain. The 7199 is an RCA. I think most of these are original. The only thing I'm going to have to get is a replacement for the non-stock bass knob.

An amp tech gave it a clean bill of health. I'll post pictures when I finish my move to Washington.

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    You've got yourself a great Ampeg Portaflex Head.
    If you choose to keep it, you should consider either finding an orphaned B-15 Cabinet, B-18 Cabinet, or having one made by Vintage Blue. That heads gives you 55 watts RMS
    which is double what the 25 watt RMS B-15N's produced.

4. Thanks corey!

The head IS great. I've got two B15 cabinets that I'll use with it which will put me at 16ohms. I can't wait to get to WA and set it up.

Thanks guys.

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Fliptop.net has them but I'm not sure which is the correct one, they have two.

6. Well here it is in all of its' glory. It is ugly, very ugly. I have to say though, it's the best sounding amp i've ever played through. Even better than my SVT-CL. It is incredibly loud for only being 55 watts, and using two B15R cabs really helps to get more db.

DSC_0306.
    DSC_0307.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ugly? Bah! Just clean off the old paint and get yourself some black crinkly spray paint and spray them again. They'll look awesome when you're done.

8. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    It has character. I like it.

9. Nothing ugly about that man. Enjoy it and congratulations!

10. Thanks gents.