Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bought an Elrick Bass today... couldn't resist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AJ Love, Feb 24, 2004.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    bought a used Elrick New Jazz Standard 4 string today for $1299 from Bass Northwest. Ash body/maple neck...couldn't resist a great deal like that on such a great bass. it'll be here tommorow.

this will be my first Elrick that I've owned (played a few in my time) so I'm am PSYCHED!

used Elricks seem like one of the greatest deals in basses today

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Congrats man!

Please be sure to post some pics when you get it. :)

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Elricks are beautiful instruments! I love my GS-5... Its so smooth, so deep, so LIGHTWEIGHT... It's like playing nothing at all! :eek: :smug:
    :hyper:

4. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    thanks! here's a couple of pics of it from the store's website...not sure if I am attaching them correctly or not though

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Congrats. I have an Elrick platinum 5, love it to bits. There was an amazing 5 string NJS on ebay last week which was very distracting to me.

6. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    got the bass today...first impressions:

what an incredible, resonant bass! excellent playability. superb craftsmanship.... I actually like the fact that its not a "Super Fancy" looking bass (nothing wrong with those, I like the understated natural wood look of this bass though)

right on up there in terms of playability with the Fodera VW Monarch I used to have, but BETTER tone..... sounds fantastic when slapped

I'll post more late tonight after I take it for a few spins

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Very, very nice. Congrats!

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Couldn't agree more. The resale value on Elricks makes no sense. I now have 4 killer Elricks, a custom semihollow fretless 5, a singlecut fretless 5, a Platinum Hybrid 5 and an E-volution 4. All ridiculously nice basses with very distinctive tones. Great playability and light weight that just doesn't jibe with the sound they produce.

A friend of mine was just looking for an NJS 4.

9. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    more impressions:

what a bass...what a freakin' bass!

playing this bass I am instaneously a better bassist. the playability is THAT good. the action is super low all across the fretboard and it is so easy to play. even with the zero fret this is a great slappin' bass. the G string has a great snap to it, and with the Bartolini pre its easy to dial in a Marcus Miller tone

I am extremely impressed. I like this bass better than the Fodera VW Monarch I used to have, and thats sayin' something as that was truely a well crafted bass. I bought this Elrick for literally ONE THIRD the price of the Fodera (granted the Fodera was new and the Elrick was used) and the Elrick is just as good or better

its a humbling bass too, in that mistakes jump right off the neck. every note jumps right out. I have no doubt that there are ton of tones and sounds in this thing, and it will be my pleasure to get to know this bass over the course of time

I can't imagine selling or trading this bass because a) its such a nice bass and b) the re-sale value isn't that high

I'd like to thank everyone here at Talk Bass. I've lurked here alot for a few years (and read through the archives too) and it was the folks here who helped steer me towards trying out an Elrick awhile ago, once I tried a few it was just a matter of finding a great deal. Bass Northwest (once again) kicked ass for me

I can't say this bass is the cure for GAS though, looking into my crystal ball I see another Elrick in my future, perhaps an E-Volution 4 string (!)

10. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was so close to buying an Elrick a couple of weeks ago and somebody beat me to it. John Files at Bass Emporium had a beautiful one, 5 string J. It was awesome looking. And affordable. I bought a Zon Sonus Custom 5, which is what I was looking at before I saw the Elrick. Some day maybe. Enjoy your bass!!!
    Sanch :cool:

11. I've also had an Elrick E-Volution 5----fantastic bass but I let it go for other cash needs. However, and don't laugh unless you've tried one before, but I recently purchased the Cort/Elrick Josh Paul 5 sig bass. I can assure you that this bass is far more Elrick than Cort, and I know because I've owned 'em both. Plays just as good as the real one, no b.s. and sounds just as good in my opinion....$679 NEW on the Bay (ok, no case, but no tax either). BP magazine usually gives a thumbs up to everything, however they went MUCH further and praised the heck out of this thing! For those of you who want an Elrick but don't have the jack for a USA model, I strongly urge you to check one of these out---you will absolutely love it! I only wish they'd do a 4 or a fretless but I asked the president of Cort about this at last summer's NAMM show and he said that the demand just wouldn't be there (that may be so considering the poor job they've done in marketing this bass). Guess I'll be springing for a USA 4 in the future---I should be able to steal one considering their resale value---I just don't get that!

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on your new purchase!:D

I'm a HUGE fan of Elrick basses. Every single one I've played has been wonderful!

When I bought my Jerzy Drozd Mastery VI, it had actually come down to these two basses. My next one could very well be an Elrick...;)

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    My E-Vo 4 is one of the sickest fours I've ever played. Mine weighs nothing but sounds like it weighs a ton. Hard to believe someone actually got rid of it.

I still want more Elricks. They're that good.

14. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    yeah I am pretty sure that my next bass purchase will be an E-Vo 4..... now, I have an open mind enough to say that I don't know whether this Elrick NJS is just the perfect bass FOR ME or whether Elrick is simply making the greatest basses on the planet, but this bass is purely amazing....been playing for a few hours tonight and there are songs I can play on this bass that I could never play before I had this bass

I do my best to try to live life without regrets, so I can't say that I regret selling my Fodera VW Monarch like I did last year, but I do miss that bass sometimes... however this Elrick NJS is a better bass in every way (besides outright beauty, this NJS is just a plain Ash body bass) than the Fodera was (and that Fodera was a damn nice bass)

went to the Elrick website and figured out that with the upgrades to a Birdseye Maple fingerboard and the Soapbar Barts this Bass sold new for $2850 (and worth every penny I'd say)... the fact that I bought this bass for $1299 is amazing. The fact that this bass blows away any bass in the $1300 price range is an obnoxiously obvious statement

15. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Another bass in the "ridiculous bang for the buck" catagory would be an R Bass. I just picked a 4 string up used for 1250!! :hyper: :D :spit:
    A fantastic bass, on par with my Nordstrand.
    Brad Johnson, could you post a pic of your Evo-4?

16. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

and could you post a pic of you R Bass??

Peace,
    JP

17. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    JP,
    I'm planning on putting up a "family pic", but I don't know how to post photos here on TB!!! Carey's going to give me a tutorial and hopefully bring me into the new century! :help:

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Sure, here's a lousy pic of the E-Vo. Crotch Walnut on Ash, Bubunga board. Then there's the Platinum Hybrid 5.

19. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, if we're showing off our Elricks... :cool:
    here's my Platinum Classic 5. Spalted Maple Burl Top & Back, Ash Body, Maple Neck w/Brazilian Rosewood Fingerboard, Bart Soapbar Pickups & 3-Band EQ. Just an amazing bass.

The Elrick.com website is undergoing a bit of a facelift, not too much functional stuff on there right now but pricelists / options are there.

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Actually there are more pics than there were before and even a phone number for Rob:eek:

Check out the singlecut NJS. Interesting.

[​IMG]