1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bought Elixirs 1 Week ago, G-string broken :(

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by semborg, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Bought a set of elixir 4-string 45-105. Today I slapped away the G-string...

2. hey
    i just got an iby SR905 bout two weekends ago, elixir equiped, A string broke in 2 days. Sucks.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The ones I got with my trial back last june are still on my Ibanez...kinda forgot to send em back.

4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I really do not like Elixers, they just feel "slimey" to me.

On the potential cause of your problem, was it a bridge or a nut break?

5. At the bridge. (On the bottom of the instrument)

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Try using a pencil on the saddle - you may have a sharp something at your bvridge which casused the snap.

7. pencil on the saddle?:confused:

8. pencil = graphite, graphite = lubrication :D

9. Shall I draw with a graphite pencil where the strings rest on the bridge? - How can this help?

10. i think what agreatheigth means is to actually rub the lead from the pencil onto the area where the string touches the bridge. It lubricates the bridge.

11. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I know EXCACTLY what you're talking about.

I also had a Elixir set on my bass, but the G-string broke after 5 days. I've also read in a review done by a norwegian music magazine, which said just the same thing.

Bottom line: Elixir doesn't make durable G-strings ;)

12. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    If that were the case, then everybody would be breaking strings. In my 26 years of playing,I have never broken a bass string. If you're breaking strings,there is either a problem with your bass bridge,or you're playing way too hard.

13. It is partially due to the string, this much I know. I had the G-string on my elixers break after a week or two.
    But first off, were you slapping/popping when you did it? If so, try no to pull the string to hard when you pop. You should barley move your hand at all, most of the movement should be in the finger when you pop.
    Secondly, make sure your stringing it right. Your tuning pegs SHOULD have a hole in the bottom, for you to insert the string into. You should not just wrap the string around the open face pegs (when stringing make sure each loop goes below the one above it).
    Finally, take the advice with the graphite on the bridge. As graphite is a soft material, the particles from the graphite (pencil 'lead') will libricate the area in which the string comes in contact with the bridge, meaning less friction, and less breakage.

14. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I've never broken a single Elixir string unless I literally grabbed it and yanked it off. I've been using them on bass for nearly 3 years, acoustic guitar for 2, and electric for the last few months (since I got the guitar). I play pretty hard with a pick on guitars, and have not had any issues with breakage. And bass.... never. I check the bridge and nut everytime I change strings and rub down with a pencil just to make sure. No problems.

15. Condor

Condor

Aug 31, 2004
    Sorry, but I can't completely agree with that. I will contend that there was a period in the early seventy's when RotoSound manufactured a large batch of Swingbass rounds that were defective. For well over a year I would break a D or G once a month or at least every six weeks. The strings would never break in the same places. There wasn't much string selection back then, and RotoSound had the only decent sounding low E, so I stuck with them. It got so bad that I bought a clear pair of drugstore glasses for protection. :bag:

Since that episode (I stayed with RotoSound for several years after that) I have never broken a string on that bass or any other. BTW I currently use Elixir Polyweb on my main bass.

16. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I know this is a long shot, but why don't you try Elixir's customer support and see if they're nice enough to send a replacement G?

Who knows, maybe they will?

17. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I meant in the context of the typical quality of a certain brand of strings. I remember hearing about the Rotosound defects,and I would say that was an exception,and would rarely happen.I meant a good quality made sting,without defects. I also hadn't considered not winding enough on the tuner. That was a possibility as well. But I guess my main point was,if the string is made properly,and is installed correctly,there is no reason to ever break a bass string.Other than maybe a bridge issue,if you literally break a bass guitar string,you are playing way too hard.Do you have any idea how far off the fretboard you have to pull a string to get it to break? Try it sometime.It just blows me away how,barring defects.anybody can break a string.

18. Done

19. They will send me a new G-string! :hyper:
    And they asked me to send them the string.

Very nice customer support!

20. TriplePowerMax

TriplePowerMax

Jul 2, 2005
    Russia
    guys, i've already used Elixir string on my bass 1.5 years, and all stings are safe.